Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Torsion Keys Leveling Kit Help

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by $ilverado, Aug 6, 2009.

1. $ilverado

$ilverado Rockstar

i was thinking about buying torsion keys level kit but i need some help no them first.
    hope you guys can help me out..

are they bad for you truck? like your front end?

because i heard "cranking" your torsion bars will put more pressure on the elements on the front and cause extra strain that is not needed.

do torsion keys lift your truck up without putting the extra strain on your front end and its suspension? that cranking your torsion bar would do?

and i understand that it will be a tougher ride, i understand that's impossible to avoid but it doesn't bother me.

wondering if anyone can clarify this stuff for me and more. thanks

mark.

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Alot of companies are offering the keys because they are inexpensive as compared to changing to stiffer torsen bars. The truck manufactures dont recommed over adjusting the t/bars. That is why the have differant t/bars for differant trucks. My 05 Z-71 came with YH code bars. I replaced with WZ code bars, part # 15072933 (left side) and #15072934 (right side) The differance is YH code bars have a max torque of 5913 and the WZ is 7267 max torque. They are not over stiff. Shop around and you can find them for about $200.00 each. Yes its alot more than keys but it really is a better way to lift the front and not ruin the ride. Look at your t/bars on your truck and see if the paper stickers with part#s is still on your truck, this will tell you what bars you have. Post the #s and I will look up there specs and see what will work for you.

3. $ilverado

$ilverado Rockstar

not looking to spend 400 dollars ..

the torsion keys are 100 a pair.. thats what im looking for. i don't mind a stiff ride. i just want to know if they are bad for your vehicle or not.

4. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

best bet would be to get a set of keys it will put a little more strain on the front because you change angles but it would not be enough to really notice, and it is better than cranking them up that much

5. azdrtdog

azdrtdog Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

stock keys are fine with stock weight the travel limits dont change with keys leave at least a fat thumb between arm and down stop or it will bounce. Never seen a stock front end without at least an inch or better left on threads there not evenly adjusted so measure at the center of wheel opening while adjusting and after a drive LEAVE SOME DOWN TRAVEL

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  6. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

There is a common misconception when dealing with stock keys versus aftermarket keys, the only thing the aftermarket key offers is the ability to put more twist on the torsion bar than the stock key allows thus giving the additional lift. With the additional lift comes less suspension travel, increased shaft angles and wear. I've always believed that the torsion key lift method is strictly for appearance and not for true off road applications, so when used on road only, the negative effects are negligible, but if you plan on any type of off- roading then a true suspension lift is what you need. I have 2.5" torsion keys on my truck and the ride is a little stiffer but not harsh by any means, but the only time my truck is off the highway is the parking lot at the county fair!

7. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Here is a great post that has a link explaining the truth about keys. I bought a set of keys for my truck because you can level the front giving it extra clearence for bigger tires without stiffening the ride like with cranking the bars. I eneded up going with a 6" suspension lift instead.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If you can get the ride height you want from your stock keys, go for it. There is no benefit to keys, unless they allow you to raise the front end more than your stock keys would.

9. $ilverado

$ilverado Rockstar

i am buying the aftermarket keys for looks not for off-road. so if i buy these keys that will raise the front of my truck up, it will not damage any parts of my front end? (using them on-road only)

10. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Twisting the T-bars to raise ride height, whether by using new keys or cranking the stock keys, changes the operating angle of your a-frames and CV shafts. If you change the angle of the CV shafts (and therefore balljoints and tie rod ends), you are likely operating them outside of design specs. This could lead to early wear of these components. The reality is that many of us have cranked our T-bars or put in new keys with minimal to no effect on component service life.

So the answer to your question is.......Maybe.