1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Torsion Keys Vs. Body Lift

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Jeeewwwski, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Jeeewwwski

Jeeewwwski New Member

I recently put 285/70/17s on my 05 1500 Z71 so im looking for a little lift. Im trying to decide if i would want a 3" body lift or just some torsion keys. Does anyone have any advice? thank you
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

torsion keys vs body lift

I'd go with the keys. I just dont like body lifts. They show alot of the trucks frame and if you have a tow hitch the hitch hangs down and to me just looks like sh*t, just my opinion. Keys take about 1 hour to change.
  3. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I'd go with keys too, they worked for me! Installation is pretty easy and the ride is actually an improvement in my opinion. Here's a couple of pics to show you how it's gonna look, (we have the same year truck)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  4. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

What it really comes down to is use. Are you after a look or do you really plan on off-roading alot? If its a look then use keys, if you really want to off-rad then get a suspension lift. While cranking the torsian bars isnt a bad way, it does put more stress on everything and you then have less limits for suspension travel. Blocks IMO are just unsafe. They can end up making the truck weaker as you are then putting all the weight directly on those long bolts going. I have seen and heard of them breaking.
  5. adampaul1964

X2, I wouldn't recommend torsion key lifts for serious off road use, mine stays on the street and it works just fine.
  6. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie New Member

Ive got 2-inch keys and a 3-inch body lift. Love them both. The front leveling kit looks great. I like the look of the body lift too. Someone above mentioned about the hitch hanging down, not on mine. I raised the front bumper with the rest of the body of coarse but the rear bumper i left in its stock position so the hitch wouldnt hang down away from everything. But to fill the gap between the rear bumper and the tailgate, i installed a piece of chrome diamond plate to fill in the space. It looks awesome.
  7. ajfdirtrider

ajfdirtrider New Member

adampaul1964- I just want to say your truck looks damn good!

vncj9- I agree, my truck has 3" keys and 2" blocks and the ride is stiffened up a bit but my truck never goes off road. If you are a serious off-road enthusiast go with the 3" body lift.
  8. adampaul1964

9. BlueBullet04

BlueBullet04 New Member

so i ordered the 3" keys and blocks, the blocks havent arrived yet so i put in the keys today which was the hardest thing ive ever had to do with a truck. i watched videos and i know what im doing while working on trucks but these keys were so hard to put in ( to crank up and put the piece that holds the key in the crossmember) and my truck rides unbelieveably rough, its almost like theres no suspension, the truck bounces so much i cant have a full can of pop or else it spills everywhere, has anyone had this problem before? it seems like there is WAYYYY too much stress on the torsion bars
  10. Jeeewwwski

Jeeewwwski New Member

Thanks for all the advice fellas, keys sound like there for me except for the post before mine which ive heard it has made the ride stiff before but is his normal cause that sounds like an uncomfortable ride?