1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

touch up paint job?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by nabisco_12, Jul 18, 2012.

1. nabisco_12

nabisco_12 Member

I was wondering what one would have wrapped up in a paint job? Im not talking a complete re do but if i take it in and have them just respray the red on it? its not reall bad but i want it to look better lol, just scratches here and there. just re do the top coat or whatever? i hear that make gives good deals?

thanks guy
  2. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Cost is going to depend on where you take it. At the very least they will have to sand the entire truck down. Not necessarily to the base coat but some sanding work is going to be involved. Some shops will want to take it down to the base coat. Once they apply the color they will put the clear on. Then they have to cut, buff and polish it. You can expect to pay $400 and up to redo the entire truck.

You may want to see if you can buff some of the scratches out if they aren't down to the color. You may get away with a detail job rather than a paint job.
  3. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I would do like stoner said and take it to a good detailer first. If the scratches aren't deep many of them can be removed or greatly reduced so they aren't as noticeable. Any paint that is put on a car will "stick" as well as a factory paint job so I would do all that you can to keep the factory job if at all possible.
  4. The Heater

The Heater Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Take it to a body shop, not a detailer, and have them go over it with 3M Perfect-It compound to smooth the finish and then with Finishing Glaze. Detailers can do this but there is wide variability in the end result from shop to shop. Body shops definitely know how to do this, if you can find one that is not primarily insurance claims driven. Maybe if you get quotes from body shops and detailers, you can decide if money is a problem for you.

Stay out of Maaco. Please. There are more small claims law suits against Maaco than probably all other body shops combined. There is a reason why they are inexpensive.