Tow a dump trailer with a 2004 gmc Sierra 1500 4x4 5.3 exstended cab

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Jayzac25, May 27, 2011.

1. Jayzac25

Jayzac25 New Member

Hello all I'm new to this site and I'm sure that this topic had already came up before and I did search alot and couldint find anything about it so I signed uP to here, I have a 2004 gmc Sierra 1500 and I need to haul some gravel and top soil for personal use to my house I am building so I was wondering if I have options for buying a dumP trailer or is my truck just too small, selling my truck isint really a option because it was Passed down from my wife's father when he passed away so I have to drive this truck untill it don't drive no more, I was hopeing to buy a trailer that is 14' with 2 x 7000 lb axles and eventually buy a real truck to tow it if anyone has any information be much appreciated. Thanks
    Jason.

2. Crispyt

Crispyt Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

3. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

the trailer wont be an issue, how much you put in it will be. dirt is heavy, wet dirt is heavier, gravel is really heavy.

a hlaf ton with extended cab should be able to handle 7000 lbs ok, maybe more depending on your rear end gearing. one thing you can do is get a trailer with electric brakes and a brake controller. will make things much safer. someone with more knowledge then I can help you more.

Alex

4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club, Jason. Do you know if your truck has the factory trailer towing package ( trans cooler, gears etc..)?

5. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the GM Truck Club Jason

6. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

********thread moved here***********