1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

tow button

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by nabisco_12, Jul 25, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. nabisco_12

nabisco_12 New Member

I have a tow button on my shifter, i pressed it and it seems to have changed some. What does it all do and change? I think i would want it all the time im hauling gear around all day, +200 lbs of concrete! it turns off when i shut off the truck...boo dont like that lol

04 5.3
  2. 383man

383man New Member 100 Posts

it basically changes your transmissions shift points if i'm correct, to shift at a higher rpm, so your truck will be less fuel efficient with it on. if anybody else with more in depth knowledge on this would like to chime in that would be great :)
  3. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

To add to what has been mentioned above, is information regarding the Features of the Tow/Haul.....On How and/or When it should be Used,

The Purpose of the Tow/Haul Mode is to:
    ***Reduce the frequency and improve the predictability of Transmission shifts when pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load.
    ***Provide the same solid shift feel when pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load as when the vehicle is unloaded.
    ***Improve control of vehicle speed while requiring less throttle pedal activity when pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load.

Automatic Transmission equipped vehicles are provided with a button at the end of the shift lever which when pressed enables Tow/Haul.
    ***When the button is pressed, the Tow/Haul has been selected. Tow/haul may be turned off by pressing the button again, at which time the indicator light on the instrument panel will turn off.
    ***The Vehicle will automatically turn off Tow/Haul every time it is started.
    ***Tow/Haul is designed to be Most Effective when the Vehicle and Trailer Combined Weight is at least 75% of the Vehicle’s Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR).

Tow/Haul Is Most Useful Under The Following Driving Conditions:
    ***When pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load through rolling terrain.
    ***When pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load in stop and go traffic.
    ***When pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load in busy parking lots where improved low speed control of the vehicle is desired.

***Operating the Vehicle in Tow/Haul when lightly loaded or with no trailer at all will not cause damage.
    ***However, there is No Benefit to the Selection of Tow/Haul when the Vehicle is unloaded.
    ***Such a Selection when unloaded may Result in Unpleasant Engine and Transmission driving characteristics and Reduced Fuel Economy.
    ***Tow/Haul is Recommended only when pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load.

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Thanks Mike, good stuff. nabisco, tools+200 lbs, in the bed of the truck, is not a load for these trucks. Hauling that kind of load does not require the tow/haul button
  5. nabisco_12

nabisco_12 New Member

thank you very much, it couldnt been written out better! Im thinking of getting some helper leafs on the back to help even the load.... any certain type?
  6. bazar01

bazar01 New Member 100 Posts

Look for some aftermarket air bag kits that just bolts on to the rear frames instead of helper leafs. You just air it up to level the truck when loaded. Or you can add a small air tank, a solenoid valve, a 12V air compressor and a dash switch if you want.
  7. nabisco_12

nabisco_12 New Member

what is the system called or what do i need to look for in a kit?
  8. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

As opposed to airbag kits, take a look at Roadmaster Active Suspension (Google for it). I'm lifted and wanted to reduce body roll as well as help balance a load when I have one, so I have this on my truck. I will be doing a write-up as soon as time permits.
  9. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have that tow haul button also, and I love it when there is a load in the bed or I am pulling a trailer. It is nice to know the specifics about it though.
  10. CowsPatoot

CowsPatoot New Member

About half the miles I put on my truck (2001 Z71) are towing a car. I use my tow/haul mode when I am towing a car, but when towing the empty trailer (about 1200lbs) I find that it limits it's desire to use overdrive. I find that it causes firmer shifts, changes the shift points, and specifically limits how often it shifts in and out of overdrive when driving in the hills here in western NC. So....pretty much what 99'HEARTBEAT said, but that gives you an idea of how much of a load it takes to be effective.