1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tow circuit

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by attaboy, Jun 5, 2011.

1. attaboy

attaboy Member

Yet another question on my 99 Silverado K1500:
    Is the "tow" circuit on a separate fused circuit? The indicator light on the dash doesn't light up and the RPM doesn't change when I engage the button on the end of the shifter. How do I trouble shoot this? It's not even addressed in the Haines Service Book that I have.
    Thanks
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Usually the button on the shifter goes to hell.
  3. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

2nd to the Button going out on the Shifter..........There is a wire that runs down the Shifter and down to the base of the Steering Column and over-time the wire has gotten Pinched and has Broke.....below is a link that shows where the wire is located, at the base of the steering column.

Here's a picture that I located showing where the wire is located at the base of the Steering Column

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  4. attaboy

attaboy Member

Interesting how the switch goes bad. I hardly ever used the darn thing......
    I can understand a pinched wire however. I have a tilt steering wheel. Perhaps that's what pinched it.
    Is it the red wire in the picture that get pinched or the one with the connector?
    Thanks
  5. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

The red wire. and yes the switch or the wire.. they are both to fault, i had forgotten about the wire problem...
  6. attaboy

attaboy Member

Well, I checked it out and sure enough; it was the two small wires going up to the shift lever. They had both broken. I spliced them them back and it seems to be working just fine now.
    Thanks
  7. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Good to hear you got that issue fixed. I have had the wires break a few times. I will warn you though that unless you soldered them together, its very possible that they will come apart again. I have fixed mine 4 times now I think, and the last one is the only one that has lasted.
  8. attaboy

attaboy Member

Yep, I soldered and shrink tubed them. I also added a sleave of sorts to keep it from rubbing through on the fiber optic cable (I assume that is what it is). The broken wires look to be a poor design with cable too short to last. Yet another example of cutting corners in the design and manufacturing processes. It should be a factory recall but that will never happen.......I guess I'll have to keep an eye on this over time.
    Thanks