Tow circuit

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by attaboy, Jun 5, 2011.

1. attaboy

attaboy Member

Yet another question on my 99 Silverado K1500:
    Is the "tow" circuit on a separate fused circuit? The indicator light on the dash doesn't light up and the RPM doesn't change when I engage the button on the end of the shifter. How do I trouble shoot this? It's not even addressed in the Haines Service Book that I have.
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Usually the button on the shifter goes to hell.

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

2nd to the Button going out on the Shifter..........There is a wire that runs down the Shifter and down to the base of the Steering Column and over-time the wire has gotten Pinched and has Broke.....below is a link that shows where the wire is located, at the base of the steering column.

Here's a picture that I located showing where the wire is located at the base of the Steering Column

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  4. attaboy

attaboy Member

Interesting how the switch goes bad. I hardly ever used the darn thing......
    I can understand a pinched wire however. I have a tilt steering wheel. Perhaps that's what pinched it.
    Is it the red wire in the picture that get pinched or the one with the connector?
  5. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

The red wire. and yes the switch or the wire.. they are both to fault, i had forgotten about the wire problem...
  6. attaboy

attaboy Member

Well, I checked it out and sure enough; it was the two small wires going up to the shift lever. They had both broken. I spliced them them back and it seems to be working just fine now.
  7. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Good to hear you got that issue fixed. I have had the wires break a few times. I will warn you though that unless you soldered them together, its very possible that they will come apart again. I have fixed mine 4 times now I think, and the last one is the only one that has lasted.
  8. attaboy

attaboy Member

Yep, I soldered and shrink tubed them. I also added a sleave of sorts to keep it from rubbing through on the fiber optic cable (I assume that is what it is). The broken wires look to be a poor design with cable too short to last. Yet another example of cutting corners in the design and manufacturing processes. It should be a factory recall but that will never happen.......I guess I'll have to keep an eye on this over time.