1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tow/Haul button problem on 2002 Silverado

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by jexo, Sep 8, 2012.

1. jexo

jexo New Member

Ok, I've searched enough and didn't find much on the matter. My issue is, on my 2002 silverado, the tow button doesn't want to engage. The light won't even come on. Sometimes it engages and works just fine but most of the time it won't. I'm thinking a short somewhere but not sure. If I wiggle the button and hit it at an angle, it'll engage sometimes but lately, nothing. Any thoughts?
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

This statement makes me think it has to be the switch operated by the button that is at fault.
  3. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

What's most likely happened is the Wire that is inside the Tow Haul Button, that runs down the Shifter and then down the Steering Column, to its Base, has Overtime gotten Pinched and/or Frayed, and has Broke.

Here's a Picture of where the Wire is located, at the base of the Steering Column,
    [​IMG]

To fix it.....you located the break in the Wire, and you can either, Crimp Splice or Solder it back together and you should be good to go.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

99'Heartbeat's info is spot-on. This is the usual cause. If you have any modicum of repair skill I recommend first trying a repair... as it'll cost you very little. Sadly, the replacement OEM part is just as prone to this as the original that came in your truck.
  5. jexo

jexo New Member

Great, thanks everyone! I did find the wire yesterday and tugged on it a little bit. That seemed to help ( no wiggling ), I'll fire her up today and see if it still works if not, I'll attack it from under the dash and see what I can do. Thanks :)
  6. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Knock on wood, mine has not had any problems so far, but I had a similar problem in my old pontiac with the cruise control knob.