1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tow Haul Fuse Location

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by kenvb, Aug 5, 2009.

1. kenvb

kenvb New Member

Hello gang,
    feel kinda stupid asking this, because I am a licenced Auto mechanic, I just bought this 99 Silverado 1500 2 wh drive and the Tow haul doesnt work, no broken wires coming from shifter, and no owners manual to find the fuse, can someone tell me where the Tow haul fuse is? if there is one.
    a copy of the fuse location from a owners manual would be great if someone could email or fax it .

I took my initial Apprecticeship in a GM dealer in the 70s, but as soon as I got my licence I started my own shop, couldnt stand the dishonest shop foreman, charging people for Warrenty repairs and charging GM for it as well.Im not rich after 35 yrs of self employed, But I can hold my head up high walking down the street,while the GM dealer owners order there groceries to be delivered.

thanks Ken
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Is there a fuse for the tow/haul circuit? I thought it was more or less an input to the ECM to tell the ECM when you want to turn off OD
  3. Mattdtrue

Mattdtrue Rockstar 100 Posts

I just discovered something this weekend for the longest time mine only worked when I didn't need it but seemed the min my 02 Tahoe saw a trailer I couldn't get it to kick in to save my lift. So Sunday we went riding about hour from the house loade the atv's up and dropped it in first gear pushed the tow haul button on the end of the shifter and there it was on... did this several times that day worked every time. Hope this helps you out it did for me.
  4. bill190

bill190 Rockstar 100 Posts

Don't you have a subscription to alldata or something similar?

Anyway the tow haul switch just switches on a ground to an input on the BCM. So no fuse involved other than to power the BCM.
  5. GSXR-Freak

GSXR-Freak New Member

Is this true for others as well?

I just picked up a 1999 1500 and the button seems to do nothing. A friend of mine with a 02 1500 says his will turn on and off anytime he wants it to.

So my question then is, if it should work any time, is there a common point of failure for this? Also, what does it really do? My friend says that his will take longer to shift and shift more firm.

Thanks guys

John
  6. kenvb

kenvb New Member

Tow Haul Button

FOUND the Problem

the 3 little wires in side shifter handle break at bottom, so either solder them for about 50 cents worth of solder and liquid tape, or buy a new shifter handle from GM for $175.00

works Hunky Dorey now, tow light comes on when button pushed,,tows my car trailer GREAT...

GM dealers all wanted $125.00 just to Diagnose the problem, not a hope in hell I will give them that.
  7. GSXR-Freak

GSXR-Freak New Member

I checked mine this morning after seeing this post, mine is the same. The wire is broke in two just below the small plastic clip that holds the wire down.

I will be working on this asap to see if that is all that is needed to correct it.

John