Tow/Haul Mode Problem with Indicator Lights Chevy Trucks & SUVs (solution)

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by niko01, Oct 13, 2009.

1. niko01

niko01 New Member

Hey there, just wanted to say hello to everyone and introduce myself. I just bought a 2001 Silverado Ext. cab short box 2wd 4.8 Liter. This is my first 2wd truck ever, I have owned a few 4x4 and several Suburbans. So the problem I have is the tow/haul mode does not seem to engage. Is there a solenoid or something that may have went bad, or something else. (No light comes on, on the dash, and the trans shifts the same).
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2013
  2. s5belford

s5belford New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

sorry I can't help with your problme, but welcome to the site!!!
  3. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the site!:great:
  4. Darknesss23

Darknesss23 New Member 100 Posts

do 2wd trucks even come equipped with tow/haul mode? or is the button just there
  5. Land Shark

Land Shark New Member 100 Posts

The govy I drive for work has the button but no light comes on either. I don't think that the two wheel drives have that option on them.
  6. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

What Most likely Happen is that the Wire that runs down the Shifter and where it meets the Steering Column, down at the Base, has over-time has got Pinched and finally Broke.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  7. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You wont notice the difference in shifts really, but the little pic on the shifter should light up, most likely the wire or sensors on the button have worn out.
  8. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the site! I agree with Jason (vncj96), it is hard to tell if it works but the light on the shifter should come on.
  9. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Silverado Tow Haul button fix

FYI, Here's one solution from: duramaxforums.com

Here's a pic of the offending wire:
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  10. ChevyDan

ChevyDan New Member

Tow/Haul

Hello, I have a 2001 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 that the tow/haul stopped working, went to my local GM dealer and will cost 85.00 through work for a new shift lever to hopefully fix the problem, been told here and at the GM dealer that you can't just replace the switch at the end of the swifter. Dan