1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Tow / Haul

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by bzboardco, Dec 29, 2008.

1. bzboardco

bzboardco Rockstar 100 Posts

I have a 2002 Silverado 2WD 5.3L and about a month ago my tow/haul button got to where it would work sometimes and now it just doesn't cut on at all....anyone know about this? THANKS

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  2. retired

retired Rockstar 100 Posts

Could be the button itself, you'll have to pull the button and test it.

3. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It is pretty much impossible to pull the button out as it is built into the shift lever, but I had this problem on mine (caused it myself though). When I replaced the shift boot, I chose to cut the tow/haul wires so I didnt tear the new boot trying to stretch over the lever. Shortly after, the tape went bad and I ended up where the wires would short across eachother and it eventually just stayed on, so I pulled them apart until I could properly fix them. Now I have them extended and soldered - and no more problems. So... The first thing I would do is check the wires (remove dash bezel and pry open top and bottom steering column wires). If the wires are fine, you will likely have to replace the entire shift handle, as the button is built right in to it.

Hope this helped, Good Luck!