Tow Mirrors

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by 03HeavyHalf, Aug 24, 2011.

1. 03HeavyHalf

03HeavyHalf Rockstar

I just put on tow mirrors the other night. They are the ones with the LEDs on the side for the signal and running light. But i hooked everytihing up and they didnt light up like ive seen them do for running lights. Is there a certain way to make it do that or is it supposed to do that on its own? any help is awesome/.

2. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I don't believe I have seen a GM truck with stock mirror running lights before. Can you post pics?

3. 03HeavyHalf

03HeavyHalf Rockstar

4. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I have never seen our tow mirrors with running lights before (very interesting though) and I'm not sure your truck's computer is aware that they are there or can them turn on. You may have to hard wire them to your parking lights.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  5. 03HeavyHalf

03HeavyHalf Rockstar

How would i go about that exactly?

6. mfleetwood

I'm not an electrical expert nor a mechanic so my thoughts would probably make those folks cringe. You will want to wait for other opinions but what I would do is splice a wire into one of parking lights wires and then splice it to the wire that feeds the running light on the mirror. Most likely, I'd start with the parking light fuse and see if I could use as the splice point the wire going from the fuse block to the parking lights.

7. mfleetwood

After studying the pics a little bit harder and re-reading the product info, are you sure these are supposed contain running lights? It appears to me that the yellow marker on the side of the mirror is just a signal only for both halves of the lights vs one portion being the signal and the other being a running light. I think that if the signal is working, they're doing what they should be doing and you got them hooked up right.

8. Rockstarrchevy81

Rockstarrchevy81 Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Those are the same exact mirror's i installed on my truck about 3 weeks ago and bought them from ebay but mine are for the nnbs from 08-11. I don't think these are suppose to have running lights just the turn signals. The turn signals for mine run great but like others said you could splice wires and make it work just don't think it's that big of a deal.

9. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You would need to run a wire from a front running light/blinker. On my front turn signals the green write is the blinker and brown is running. You would need to get that wire tied into your mirrors.

Not sure if you locate those wires under the dash so its a shorter run...but that's what you need to get the blinker to act as a running light.