1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

towing a load with a 2008 5.3 V8 Z71 4 wd and a 4 speed transmission.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by JUGHEAD, Jan 30, 2012.

1. JUGHEAD

JUGHEAD New Member

Iam looking on advice on towering a 16ft trailer with 3 or 4 atv's on it. I will be travling about 350 miles. I have a 2008 5.3 Z71 4wd crew cab, with a 4 speed transmission. Should i use the tower haul or leave it in just D.
  2. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Considering you will be towing a fairing good size load with 3 or 4 atv's and the weight of the trailer, I would put the transmission in tow mode. If you don't the transmission will be shifting a lot more than it should causing it to build up heat and heat is a bad thing in your tranny!!
  3. audible

audible Member

I agree with Red Z71 Max
  4. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Like the others said, I would use tow/haul for that one. And if you can stand running your engine that fast for the whole trip, the service manager at my local dealer says that running in 3rd instead of Drive when you're towing really helps to save the 4L60E transmission in these trucks. I personally just use tow/haul though and have never had a problem.
  5. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

X2.....on what PMF608 has mentioned regarding the using the Tow/Haul and Towing in 3rd Gear, when Towing a Load, the below information is regarding the Tow/Haul feature and its from the Silverado's Owners Manual,

Tow/Haul is a feature on automatic transmission equipped vehicles that assists when pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load.

The purpose of the Tow/Haul mode is to:
    • Reduce the frequency and improve the predictability of transmission shifts when pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load.
    • Provide the same solid shift feel when pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load as when the vehicle is unloaded.
    • Improve control of vehicle speed while requiring less throttle pedal activity when pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load.

Tow/Haul is designed to be most effective when the vehicle and trailer combined weight is at least 75% of
    the vehicle’s Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR).

Tow/Haul is most useful under the following driving conditions:
    • When pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load through rolling terrain.
    • When pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load in stop and go traffic.
    • When pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load in busy parking lots where improved low speed control of the vehicle is
    desired.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  6. JUGHEAD

JUGHEAD New Member

Thanks for the help.
  7. TXFireman87

TXFireman87 New Member

could aslo see about ant upgraded tranny cooler with fan makes my 03 drive alot easier when hauling the portable water tanks when we go on a wildfire
  8. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker Member 2 Years 500 Posts

I've had my 08 5.3 4spd since mile 6 on the odometer, i've towed several heavy loads at highway speeds i have ran into no issues at all with excessive transmission temp or any kind of shifting issues. I usually just leave my truck in D no Tow/Haul selected. Of course I live in west texas and the roads are extremely flat. but one thing i've done while towing heavy loads through the hill country part of texas is accelerate as im rolling downhill and let inertia do the rest as much as possible when coming back up.