1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Towing a travel trailer

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by junior2005, May 14, 2005.

1. junior2005

junior2005 New Member

I have to say that I don't think that there is a better vehcile on the market for towing a large travel trailer.

I have a 31' Dutchmen trailer, and the 'burban is more than enough vehicle to get the job done. For family outings we are spending about 30% of what we would spend if we flew to our destination, rented a car, stayed in a hotel, ate out, etc.

Can anyone tell me of a vehicle that's better that this than a suburban? I'd love to know if there is one. :)
  2. Anonymous

Anonymous Member

I am trying to find out if a 94 1500 would be able to pull a 30 ft trailer - fully loaded at 9500 to 10000 lbs. what does your trailer weigh and what are you pulling with?
  3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Typically speaking, the old rule of thumb was that you wanted a trailer to be about as heavy as the truck that you were pulling it with was. Now, this doesn't get into the modern brake controllers that are designed to help you pull a trailer (and get you to stop with it).

Some questions to ask first. What size engine? What type of tranny? Any extras like a tranny cooler? A shift kit to help the tranny shift under that big load? etc.

Maybe there are some other people visiting this forum that can speak with some experience on this topic.
  4. Aeropagus

Aeropagus Rockstar Platinum Contributor 100 Posts

It looks like you might be trying to tow too much with the 1500 Suburban.

I found some information on the newer suburban's towing limits for the past couple of years.

1/2 ton with vortec 5300: 8400 lbs (2wd), 8100 lbs (4wd)
    3/4 ton with vortec 6000: 9900 lbs (2wd), 9600 lbs (4wd)
    3/4 ton with vortec 8100: 12000 lbs (2wd & (4wd)
  5. Anonymous

Anonymous Member

Yeah, I looked up the numbers myself. That's about right. You've got a pretty heavy trailer when you're towing something that big. Might want to opt for a dually pickup that can handle the tongue weight and the load behind it.
  6. chevyman

chevyman New Member

Never heard of the dutchmen trailer. Where is that one made at?
  7. CWF

CWF New Member

I'm towing a 30' 1978 Holiday Rambler Mountain Traveler travel trailer behind my 'Burban and while I slow to a crawl up the steep hills, I can pull and push that trailer in and out of Park spaces with no worries. Lots of power. Back and forth between the Yukon Territory and San Diego... around 8mpg... but I'm traveling in comfort.
  8. ChevyFan

Very nice, CWF. How long does that trip take you between the Yukon and San Diego?
  9. CWF

CWF New Member

I have friends and family in between, so the travel time varies. Let's just say I don't hurry. I'm thinking when I head north come May, I'll drive up the 15 and see some of Wyoming and Montana. I've got family in Calgary that I haven't spent much time with in the past 20 years or so.

Gas up north was a horrid price: $1.29/liter in Whitehorse when I left. Over $5.00/gallon. That really put a damper on the tourist trade.
  10. ChevyFan

I've spent a lot of time up in that part of the country. My grandparents opened up an RV resort in northern Idaho in the 1970's. It was on the other side of Hope, ID, so my grandfather called it the Beyond Hope Resort. ;-) It's a good place to stay if you're up in that part of the country, but get reservations because they fill up fast. www.beyondhoperesort.com