1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Towing, and the like

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Big_Ben, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Big_Ben

Big_Ben Rockstar 100 Posts

Anybody have any experience with tri-bar hitches? The boats and snowmobile trailer that I tow (most often things that I tow) take a 1 7/8" ball. However, many trailers require a 2" ball and I know for a fact that within the next 8 months and possibly within the next two months, I will be towing a trailer with a 2" ball.

Better to get a regular hitch bar and two separate balls and just change em over then I need too or better to go with the tri-bar where all I have to do is rotate it to the ball size that I need?

I've never used a tri-bar hitch where the three balls are just welded on. The one I've been looking at has decent load ratings (3,500 lbs. 6,000 lbs. 10,000 lbs. Gross Trailer Weight on a 1 7/8", 2" and 2 5/16" respectively)

Any tips?
  2. Greg84

Greg84 Rockstar 100 Posts

Personally I don't like the ones with 3 balls welded on them. They only come straight out and with a full size truck you almost always need a draw bar that drops a couple of inches.

If you only want to have one draw bar, I'd say get a convert-a-ball hitch ball. That will let you use any size draw bar you want. The top of the ball comes off so you can put a different sizes on it.
  3. Big_Ben

Thanks, I never thought about the fact that the bar comes straight out with the tri-bar hitch.

I'll look into that convert-a-ball idea.
  4. Gambit

Gambit Rockstar 100 Posts

Yeah if you have any kind of suspension lift the tri ball wont work to well for you. you will end up driving with the trailer tipping and not sitting level. That could lead you to some problems. Your average height should be 18-24" from the ground.
  5. Big_Ben

I have no lift, other than the 2" block that comes with the z71 package. But thanks for the advice, it's always welcome!