1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Towing Capacity '08 Silverado 1500 w/ 4.8 liter engine

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by hotrodking86, May 5, 2011.

1. hotrodking86

hotrodking86 Rockstar 100 Posts

Hey everyone,
    I have a 2008 Silverado 1500 with the 4.8 liter engine. The tow rating on this truck is only 4800 pounds, which to me is kinda weak. I noticed that if I had the 3.73 gears I could pull 6800, but since I have the 3.23 its supposedly only 4800 or so pounds. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get more towing capacity out of it without changing the gears? Or maybe 4800 pounds is just being conservative. I know that the 5.3 liter engine doesn’t have too much more horsepower than the 4.8 and it would seem to me if I just beefed up the power a bit it would be better. If anyone has any experience or has anything to add please do so. ​

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

As far as increasing your Max Trailer Weight Rating.....Changing out your Gears to 3.73's or 4.10's...I think is the only way that you can Increase your Trucks/ 4.8 Liter's Max Trailer Weight Rating.....Adding Performance Mods ....to Up your Horsepower will Help......But will Not Increase your Max Tow Weight Ratings.
    Last edited: May 16, 2011
  3. hotrodking86

hotrodking86 Rockstar 100 Posts

Does anyone know the exact tow capacity for my truck? A 2008 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 2WD with 4.8liter engine. I heard its like 4800 which sounds kind of weak. Thanks.
  4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The Tow Ratings for your Truck....08" Crew Cab 1/2 Ton...2wd...with 4.8 Liter with 3.23 Gears the ratings are the Following,
    Max Trailer Weight is.....4600lbs
    Gross Combination Weight Rating is....10,000lbs

This information above and below is from the 2008" Silverado Owners Manual,

The Ratings with........3.73 Gears is,
    Max Trailer Weight.....6,600lbs
    GCWR ........................12,000lbs

Edit......The Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) is the total allowable weight of the completely loaded vehicle and trailer including any passengers, cargo, equipment and conversions. The GCWR for your vehicle should not be
    exceeded....

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  5. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I would have to agree with the figures from the previous post. You can also find this information in your owner's manual on page 4-62. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
  6. komelia1

komelia1 New Member

i have a 2007 chevy silverado 4.8 lt 1500 nbs, i recently purchased a 26' camper with a weight of 4700lbs, i live in the south and traveled to ohio to pick it up. i was very concerned about driving through the mountains of west virginia but i have to say i really had no problems towing it up very steep grades and hills, a few times it had to shift down to 2nd gear but it still accelerates up steep hills going about 45-50mph and easily cruises at 60-65 on flat grounds
  7. 98Hotrod98

98Hotrod98 Rockstar 100 Posts

There is a difference between being able to pull something, and being able to pull something safely.
    Your Tow ratings are based on many things like: Brake capacity, Tire Load Capacity, Axle load Capacity, frame capacity, Rear End Gears, Transmission, leaf spring load capacity... ect.

I tow a 8000lb 32ft goose-neck camper on my 1500, but i've upgraded my brakes, 8ply tires, 3500lb add a leaf springs. You may consider doing something similar if you plan on pulling at highway speeds for any amount of time.

Cheers