1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Towing capacity 2500 HD - What is it?

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by Camper947, Jun 29, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Camper947

Camper947 New Member

Hi Folks - I am new here but could use some help. I just bought a used 2012 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 liter / 6 speed auto tranny with 3.73 gears. I've been a camper for years and towed many RV's. Last truck was a Ford dually and could tow heavy loads but had too much trouble with the truck so we dumped it. Here is my question: How much can I tow with my 2500HD? The book says only 9500 lbs, other folks tell me the book is really under rated and you can town up to around 12K - is this true?? My fifth wheel weighs around 10500 dry weight and if loaded up to the max it could weigh 12K - I don't plan on loading it up to the max but is around 10-11K an OK weight? Anyone who can help would be great to hear from you:happy:
  2. donyms

donyms Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the club, it's great to have you aboard. I have a half ton but I tow what I want. I just hook to it and go, I know I have gone over the pulling capacity but it does it well. Good luck man. :glasses:
  3. JeffsChevy

JeffsChevy New Member

Welcome...... I have a 2013 2500 Hd also.... you should not have any problems towing your 5th. wheel. Especially being a camper.
  4. Camper947

Camper947 New Member

Thanks for the reply - hope my heavy Chevy does the job. My fifth wheel weighs about 11K loaded so hope the truck can handle it
  5. grampy

grampy New Member 100 Posts

Have a slightly older one,'07-std.cab,LB,4x4, 2500HD, manual trans., 4:10's. "the book" is interesting, 10,200 w/3:73's - 12,700 w/4:10's. If you "do the math", the difference in engine RPM between those two gear set's isn't really that much. Oversize tires might make that much difference. So i'm not sure why there is 1 1/4 tons difference in rated trailer wt ? I have towed up 14K- short distance, no traffic and 55 was max speed, I wasn't comfortable with that large of a load - didn't feel like me and the chevy were "in charge" ! I have towed close to 10K several times, you'll want to make sure all the brakes are good and the tire pressures right ( I'm probably preaching to the choir here ) The truck did fine . I don't think I would be "comfy" with much more on any trip where I had to fight traffic or many steep grades however. You won't like the fuel "economy", as there is no "fuel economy" w/ a fully loaded 6 litre. I don't even check mine loaded - I really don't want to know !! KEN
  6. 09mgray

09mgray New Member

Hook n Book my Friend just when ya find a hill make sure u find the skinny pedel ;)
  7. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the Club!!!

****Thread Moved Here****
  8. steved

steved Former Member 100 Posts

...9600#s with 3.73s, 13k#s with 4.10s...

At that weight, you will be working pretty hard unless you're all flatlands...personally, if I liked the truck, intended on keeping it for a while, and already had that camper; I would find someone to swap me in some steeper gears (I would skip 4.10s and go with 4.56s)...