1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Towing capacity ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Skarch, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Skarch

Skarch Rockstar 100 Posts

What is the towing capacity of a bumper mounted ball on a 97 burban, 5.7L 4x4?

Since my reciever was stolen, I was thinking of dragging a car on a dolly just using the bumper this weekend, but needed to make sure that was going to be sufficient.
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Hmm, from memory of looking at various bumpers' weight rating, I'd say that the weight rating for yours is probably somewhere between 1500 and 2500 pounds. Not very much, pretty much just a boat... I wouldn't trust a bumper mounted ball for anything other than tooling around the farm with a small trailer of sorts...
  3. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Ok for a small car

The bumper on my burb is stamped with "400lbs tongue load max, 4000lbs trailer load max" Should be OK to tow a small car.
  4. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I've got the same year as unplugged, but 2500, and I've got the same load limit on my burb. 400 tongue, and 4000 trailer.

You should be fine. Just make sure your ball can handle the load too.
  5. TexasT

TexasT Member

$25-40 for a new receiver and ball? Why take the chance?
  6. Skarch

Skarch Rockstar 100 Posts

No, thats not what got stolen. The part that actually bolts to the frame of the truck that the ball hitch locks into was stolen, the reciever. I still have the arm with the multi-ball in my garage.

And BTW, it pulled the 1990 New Yorker just fine.
  7. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Well, this upcoming weekend, I'm going to be pulling a 18' car hauler with a late 90's firebird on it. According to the different weights of the stuff I'm pulling, it looks like I may be a bit overweight for the rear gears I have. The trailer weighs about 2000 lbs, and supposedly the car weighs 3700, but we're not sure if that's empty, or loaded. That would put me at 5700, when I belive I can only pull about 3000 with the 3.08 rear gears. My uncle keeps reassuring me that if we just take the takeoffs easy, it'll be fine, but I'm a little worried...
  8. TexasT

TexasT Member

Wow, now those were so determined thieves! I see you are in Arlington. Where were you when the thing was stolen, if you don't mind me asking?
  9. finalday7

finalday7 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Man I can't imagine 3.08 gears. I'm mad that I got stuck with 3.23. Have you ever thought about getting them changed?
  10. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The gear ratio debate is tricky, 3.08's and 3.23's give much better mileage, 4.10's and lower give better performance. It comes down to what you ask your truck to do most tow or commute, that'll determine the best ratio for ya.
    Be great if they still made 2 speed rearends. Which brings up the question of why they ever stopped producing them.
    I've been known to rent a truck at times for long tows to save wear and tear on my own vehicles.