Towing/Hauling

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 04sierracrewcab, Nov 3, 2008.

1. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Just wondering what you tow or haul with your Chevy/GMC. How heavy is it, hows it affect your millage, handeling ect.? How far do you haul it and how often?

Also what kind of accesories do you have to help with towing or hauling.
    How do like the tow/haul mode (if eqquped)
    And feel free to post any other towing/haluing stuff.
    :great:

2. 04sierracrewcab

I occasionally tow a 19 foot low boy trailer w mulch to do landscaping, or moving furniture for peopel. Not sure on the wieight, usually not to far truck handels it like a champ. Only around town, never gotten on the Hwy. I dont really see any help from the tow/haul mode. thats about all i have on that

Maybe one day Ill end up with a boat I can tow w my Sierra. :neutral:

:glasses:

3. EKperformance

EKperformance Member

i once pulled a trailer with about 9400 pounds of scap metal and an adition 800 pounds for the trailer. lol it was a religious experience !! brakes might as well not been there and mine is a stick shift so i dont have tow haul mode, but it did handle pretty well and it accelerated good despite over loading the truck by about 5000 pounds

4. 04sierracrewcab

someone needs a V8 :lol:

5. CaptnBud

CaptnBud New Member

Took a trip around the country in the spring. 10,000 miles, 7 weeks. We were pulling a 30' Coachman Travel Trailer, about 11,000 lbs. Started out with 4,000 milse on the truck and was getting around 8 mpg. By the end of the trip, mpg went up to about 10.5. Most of the time we were running close to the posted speeds and as high as 75 at times. Handling was good and the IBC worked flawlessly. I also pull my 23' fishing boat and move around Commerical Fishing Boats and trailers, using a front mounted Class III hitch ( The only way to go).

6. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

if you got a load or heavy trailer you should be on the "tow/Haul" mode this turns off the over drive and giving the tranny a huge brake. there are stickers and in the owners manual it said to never tow in over drive. i towed many different types of trailers and not had any real issues. my K1500 does great and never really complains.....mike

7. 04sierracrewcab

why is pullin in overdrive bad???

8. bry2500

bry2500 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Put 4125 lbs of retaining wall block in the bed and hauled it only about 10 miles. Truck didn't even know it was there. It actually rode smoother. The only difference was braking. I had to really think ahead when I wanted to stop. I did this twice and have no questions that the truck could do it again and again.

I did notice the difference when I turned on the Tow/Haul mode.

9. JMoney02

JMoney02 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

2002 Suburban hauling a 2004 Hiway Star 6/12 dual axle, torsion bar susp., electric bakes, 2000lb ramp, total weight of trailer is 1650lbs. It's cargo is 2 Harley Davidson's with ride up wheel chokes.
    Which was being hauled by the Wife's 2006 Titan, but the Burban gives us extra cargo space with the third seat removed for all the necessaties. Has been to several states while on vacation and family
    functions. Has been to several places here in Florida for extended stays.
    Has been to the dump to haul approx. 4 tons of yard debrie(trees down from Hurricanes) and takes my Handyman tools to the places I work when I feel like make extra cash and do things for people who need honest work for honest pay...... I just hope that the Burban can be all it can be as the Titan has
    been a excellent truck, Sorry to all US Chevy people, me included.......

10. wallstetter

wallstetter Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

so far all ive pulled is a 2 place snowmobile trailer with 2 snowmobiles in it for about a 3 hour drive but this spring i have to pull my K5 blazer to the sand dunes we will see how the 1500 handles that