1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Towing Package

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by vaburb, Jan 30, 2007.

Random Gallery Photos

1. vaburb

vaburb New Member

I am looking at a 2004 C2500. Do they come with a towing package or is it standard and if they come with a towing package is there a way to visually check to see if it has the towing package. I am buying it to pull a boat about 5000 lb with trailer.
  2. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The 2001 Suburban, and the 2006 Silverado 2500HD I own both came with tow packages and I guess the most obvious clue would be the reciever hitch mounted below the rear bumper and the trailer light receptical as well.
    Hope that helps.
  3. vaburb

vaburb New Member

The suburban I am looking at has a hitch and plug for trailer lights but does that mean it has the trailer towing package. I was also looking at Expeditions and they said that most came with the hitch and plug but you could tell if it had the trailer towing package by the plug, 7 prong instead of 4. The towing package would mean tranny and oil cooler which I need. Thanks!!
  4. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Checking the RPO codes would be the easiest. (IMO)
    You would want to check the glove box sticker for the following RPO codes:
    GT5 4.10 Diff
    KC4 Engine oil cooler
    KNP Tranny oil cooler
    Z82 Trailering equipment (Heavy Duty)
  5. vaburb

vaburb New Member

Thanks I appreciate the info!!!
  6. vaburb

vaburb New Member

One other question, without the towing package and with the 3.73 rear and 6.0 engine would I be alright towing a 5,000 lb boat.
  7. vaburb

vaburb New Member

One more thing I just saw specs on a 2006 and they said that the 2500 came standard with the trailer towing package, is this true and did the 2004's come standard also.
  8. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I can't honestly answer whether or not the 2004 came with the package. If I had to guess, I would put my money on "yes" they did. As far as towing, with the 3.73 you should be able to tow about 7,600lbs (of course it will probably pull more than that just fine). If it has the 4.10 your max will be 12,000.
  9. vaburb

vaburb New Member

By the way I bought the Suburban. I do not think I mentioned before but it has Quadrasteer and so far I love it!! Here is a picture, I hope.

Attached Files:

• Burb.JPG
      Burb.JPG
      File size:
      56.9 KB
      Views:
  10. 84fiero123

84fiero123 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Congrats.

I was always a little leery of those with quadrastear. Only because that’s even more parts to brake.

I hear they can back a trailer in the tightest spots though.

Never had the opportunity to drive one, is it as good as I’ve heard for backing up trailers?