1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Towing Question - 2008 Silverado Crew Cab

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by cigar_stub, Feb 1, 2009.

1. cigar_stub

cigar_stub New Member

Got an 08 Silverado Crew cab yesterday with the 5.3 liter engine, 4x4. I really like it (so far) and took a run to the lake today with the boat to see how it would handle and it did great. My question is with the button on the end of the gear shift, the one that turns on the picture of the trailer.

What does it do? I didn't notice an rpm change when I used it. Anyone who can explain its function, please do so and thanks in advance for the help.

Stubby
  2. mehoff400

mehoff400 New Member

it changes your shift points on when it shifts so it will rev higher before it shift to make it easier going up hills getting going from a stop so you don't need to be on the pedal so much
  3. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 New Member 1000 Posts

In my friends powerstroke it also acts as a limiter going down hill. You turn that on and then tap the brakes and the tranny downshifts and engine brakes for you. Pretty cool considering it's in a ford. :glasses:
  4. cigar_stub

cigar_stub New Member

Thank you, that explains it.
  5. 1slols1

1slols1 New Member

doesnt it also keep it from going into overdrive?
  6. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab New Member 1000 Posts

Yess... Tow haul is very helpfull I think
  7. mehoff400

mehoff400 New Member

??? if you didn't want it to go into overdrive just keep it in 3rd
  8. tlperry68

tlperry68 New Member 1000 Posts

When I press th Tow / Haul button I get a very different motor / drive train response. Hill descent is activated, this maintains your forward speed when the vehicle senses it is going down ill. In other words, it uses the tranny to maintain speed and not accelerate. It is also very useful when towing in town. As soon as you apply the breaks the motor and tranny help slow the truck down. I do not have a transmission with overdrive so I still get all 6 speeds ut have a tap shift up and down buttons for manual selection. Also when the tow button is pressed I get more electric power to the 12 volt line at the 7 pin plug at the hitch. Lastly the blinker has an auto 3 blink program it does when you tap the indicator lever, when tow mode is on the blinker automatically flashes 6 times when the lever is turned on. Hope that helps you.
    Also, the owners manual suggests that the tow mode not be used unless you are towing 75% or more of the trucks capabilities. But verrify that with our users manual and I find it useful when towing much less than 75%.
  9. bubba33

bubba33 New Member

You have a ally in yours , its not the same as what he has, it does not work the same as yours.
  10. duffman

duffman New Member

If its not an HD with the Allison Tranny, you dont get the Hill descent. You will have to down shift to 3rd or even 2nd when slowing on a down hill. With the 5.3 it will only change your shift points and make it easier to get going and/or make it up a hill.