Towing question for the Colorado

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by craxe77, Mar 8, 2017.

1. craxe77

craxe77 New Member

Hey all,
    I'm new to trailering and was looking for help. I'm thinking about buying a Colorado 3.6l v6 with a trailering package and friends keep telling me that it may not be enough truck for what I want to use it for. I will be towing a horse and two horse trailer once a month or so. The whole load should be about 5000lbs or less and I'd be towing for about a two hour ride or so in Vermont.

Friends and coworkers say that I might burn up my brakes or that the truck will struggle on hills. Is this true even though the Colorado says it can tow up to 7000lbs.

Thanks for any help.

2. thegawd

thegawd Rockstar 2 Years 1000 Posts

I agree with your friends, hauling horses is a serious load. in addition to what your friends say it would also put a tonne of stress on the transmission and the suspension. for hauling horses on a regular basis i would go with at least a 1500 but believe a 2500 would be more suited for the job. the only way to save on fuel would be to take it slow.

jake's silverado likes this.
  3. craxe77

craxe77 New Member

I was afraid of that. I test drove it and liked it and the price. It even would fit into my garage. Looks like I might have to go bigger now.

thegawd likes this.
  4. thegawd

thegawd Rockstar 2 Years 1000 Posts

Well, wait for the advice from others on here first. Iv never been in or seen a Colorado so really what do I know, I'm just thinking. For example if your going down a hill or even on flat ground and you suddenly have to stop, that 5000lb load is going to increase from the force and may push that truck towards the limit or passed them.

They sure are nice looking trucks though!

Al

5. squatchy

squatchy Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I wouldn't pull much more than a lawn mower with a Colorado. Even my half ton was a dog with 3500 lbs behind it

6. coloradogirl

coloradogirl New Member GMTC Chick

You should look into the Mallett Supercharger with the optional water tank. It adds 100 more HP and torque. It makes a huge difference for towing. Check out his website at MallettCars.com.