1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Towing question?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by fd8215, May 8, 2010.

1. fd8215

fd8215 New Member

I am looking at buying a new truck for the business, it will be used for towing a goosneck or fifth wheel 45' car hauler enclosed trailer, and in the winter it will be plowing and salting.

I am going to get a 1 ton diesel, my delema is whether to get a duelly or a single rear wheel.

most of the specs I've seen the tow rating is the same for single or duelly, so I if some one could pls explain what the main advantages are to getting a duelly are over a single.

For plowing I would realy prefer the single wheel.

Thanks for the help.

John
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The Dualies provides more sway stability when towing large loads. Also the wieght of the goosneck is dispersed over 4 wheels instead of 2.. However single wheel will be a ton better in the snow. Plowing with a duelly is harder since you have more contact patch in the rear... I would stick with a single wheel. Everyone that i know up here in N MN uses a single wheel for their dual purpose rigs. The guys who run duallies usually have just 2wd since they only run them in the summer and park them in the winter.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Having towed Goose neck trailers with both duallies and singles I much prefer a dually, it keeps the trailer and tow platfom much more stable, especially if you tow in windy areas. It also has a safety factor, if you loose a tire on a dually it's still very controllable, with singles it gets a lot more squirelly.
  4. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 New Member 100 Posts

My 03 f350 was a single wheel and I pulled a 19,000lbs backhoe
    around Houston for 4 years. It would do great at lower speeds 45 and down, Once it got rolling you could feel the sway in the back.And didnt stop well on wet roads.