towing rating??

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by kevinboy, Mar 9, 2010.

1. kevinboy

kevinboy New Member

I am looking to purchase an 02 silverado LT with 5.3 vortec engine. How much can i tow with this truck without damaging the tranny and so on.

I usually only tow cars and such. 5000lbs tops including my trailer

Also if a the truck says it has a tow package does that mean it has 4.10's instead of 3.73

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  2. Gambit

Gambit Rockstar 100 Posts

That all depends on if it is a factory tow package open your glove box and find the code on the sticker. Do a search on here because the codes have been deciphered for people several times to find out what your gear ratio is (assuming they werent changed by previous owner) But as long as you do have the 4.10 you will be fine with 5000 lbs as long as you dont go over 500 at the hitch. again assuming it is factory and not after market class 5 hitch or some crap.

3. Greg84

Greg84 Rockstar 100 Posts

Tow package usually means it just has a trailer hitch and wiring.

Assuming its an extended cab 4wd with 3.73 gears, its rated to tow 8,800 lbs. at most.

4. kevinboy

kevinboy New Member

O yea that is plenty like i said all i ever tow is the occasional car to work on or a 4x4 about 10 miles to the local mud hole. And my trailer is tandem axel with very little tounge weight if you load it properly.

5. wayned

wayned Rockstar 100 Posts

tow ratting for a 2007 nnbs excab 4wd 373 gears 7,500 410 gears 8,500 may be little less for a 02 check for a transmission cooler (part of a tow package)