1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Towing Report 30' Airstream

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by mnmhays, Jul 7, 2014.

1. mnmhays

mnmhays New Member

After a bit of work (intake gasket & water pump) we took a 3,000+ mile trip this week. The second half was to bringing our 30' Airstream from MI to CO. We did 16 mpg on the way there and 11.5 on the way back (A/C on both ways). Betty performed like a champ!

Attached Files:

2. kennythewelder

kennythewelder Active Member 100 Posts

That's impressive, is it a 5.7 L
  3. mnmhays

mnmhays New Member

Yep! 5.7 1996 1500 w/ 3.73 gears. turned over to 160,000 on the trip. Very happy. Our AS only weighs 4300 lbs. The pic was before I put the WD bars on...
  4. kennythewelder

kennythewelder Active Member 100 Posts

That's what is in my 97 Silverado , check out my garage, Those are grate engines. I have over 202,000 on mine and it runs grate. mine has 342 in the rear end
  5. poncho62

poncho62 Member 100 Posts

Very good......I thought Airstreams weighed more than that. They sure look it. I have a 97 K1500 with the same package as you. I can squeeze out 10.5 on a good day towing my small (5000 lbs), si I guess I am doing OK

Attached Files:

• 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      74.9 KB
      Views:
  6. mnmhays

mnmhays New Member

I felt pretty good about the trip overall. She pulled like a dream!
  7. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Looks like you had a great trip. The Suburban looks great yanking that piece of Americana history around. I'm also surprised that the trailer weighs so little. Short travel trailers that weighed over 7000 pounds seemed to be very common in the 60s and 70s.
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  8. ChevyKing

ChevyKing Member

3,000 miles is hefty for sure. Glad you pulled through and Betty did as well. And for the A/C being on, it must be pretty hot where you're at. I haven't really needed to put the A/C on that much this summer because of the abundance of rain. The air stream is an illusion of weight, haha.
  9. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Nice looking trailer! How did it handle, don't suppose you saw any huge mountain passes, just depends on what part of Colorado you went though I suppose.
  10. mnmhays

mnmhays New Member

We avoided big passes by going through Southern Wyoming on I-80. Didn't want to overstrain anything; us, the AS or Betty! The AS handled really well. I used WD & sway control, semis pushed us around a bit as they passed but nothing intolerable. A/C was necessary due to humidity (us desert dwellers aren't used to it). Ran through a couple of storms in the Chicago area and Eastern Iowa...a little hair-raising but managable. Now on to restoring another American icon!