Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Towing through the Rockies

Discussion in 'North America - Western USA' started by RaiderNick, Aug 12, 2009.

1. RaiderNick

RaiderNick New Member

Anyone out there have a '09, 5.3L, 6AT, 4WD an do any travel trailer towing through the Rockies? I have this setup and want to get an idea of how heavy I can go without really taxing the truck hard when towing a trailer.

Thanks

2. Stealth

Stealth Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Hey Nick,
    My dad has a 5.3 '09 Sierra that we use to tow a 22' cmapling trailer through the Rockies with a full load of gear in the bed. It worked really well for what we did, we weren't setting speed records, but we had ample power to safely pass. Hope this helps.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

In the hills, weight is your killer, not size. Basically the same drag for a 16 footer as a 36 footer. Look for lightweight, aluminum frame.

4. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I had a similiar application (05 F150 4X4 with the 5.4) and my trailer is 8000 pounds. The trailer weight was a KILLER on my truck. I maxed out at 25 mph on the south bound lane of the graqpevine. My max tow rating was around 9200 lbs or so.
    I know some people will say that Ford and GM are completely different but remember they are the same class of truck.
    I would recommend sticking around 7000 total weight if you will be on steep grades. On flat ground maxing out the truck is OK.

I hope that helps.

5. RaiderNick

RaiderNick New Member

Thanks for the advice. I can appreciate 25 mph up the grapevine (I grew up in Visalia, Ca).

That was kind of my figure (7000-7400 total weight).

Any brand or model trailer is very helpful as well.

Thanks in advance.

6. Bel Air

Bel Air New Member

be careful on I70 around Vail, those grades aren't fun when towing.

7. Mr Dragon

Mr Dragon Rockstar

Mee Too

Just traded off my 08 Ranger for a full size Silverado1500 Z71. We will be getting a trailer next year. Just the two of us, so wont be too massive. Good luck and let me know what you get.:happy:

8. cowboyjarman

cowboyjarman Rockstar

i have an 87 burban with a 4 speed manual and i pull I70 at 45 mph with a pop up trailer:shocked: