1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Towing with 6.2 & 3.42 gear ratio

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by Toytech6466, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Toytech6466

Toytech6466 New Member

Hey all
    I am curious what you are towing with your 1/2 tons with the 6.2 and 3.42 gear ratio. How does it do in the mountains? I know getting the 3.73 will be better but I am only towing about 6 to 8 times a year and only 1 or 2 times will be up into the Sierras. I will be towing a 23 foot toy hauler that will be max weight of 8,000 pounds, most of the time between 6,500 to 7,000.

Thanks in advance
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

What year/model is your truck? For the 1991 year which is pretty representative of the 90s bodystyle, the 6.2L diesel with 3.42 gears has a max front axle weight rating of 3400 and rear axle rating of 3968, and gross combination vehicle weight (GCVWR) of 10,000 pounds. Considering the truck weighs in at around 6000 pounds, that only gives you 4000 pounds of capacity. That said, the brakes are probably not strong enough to adequately stop that, and you will certainly need a weight distributing hitch. The engine and transmission are probably adequate on flat land, but not the mountains because of the low gear ratio. You'd need to ramp up to 4.10s or even 4.56s to drag 8000 pounds up the mountain.
  3. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker Member 2 Years 500 Posts

He was asking about 1/2ton trucks... So I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a diesel setup no matter the year/model haha:great:. That being said, I've never hauled with 3.42 ratio before but if it's a newer truck, your transmission is going to play a huge part with your concerns. Hopefully your truck has a 6l80 in it, but even so with that kind of weight around hills, the 3.42 gears are going to cause your truck some strain and I'd recommend the 3.73 upgrade.

Before I took all the trailering stuff off of and lowered my 08 he pulled 8K around Texas hill country with no problems (5.3 4l60 3.73 and set up as it says in signature)
  4. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Your not giving us much info to enable a proper answer; but, here is my 2 cents.

I have the 3.42 and the 5.3 I also have the tow/haul feature and a 6 speed tranny.

My advice: you have either the 4 speed, or the 6 speed tranny, just drop down a gear for the 4speed, or 2 gears for the 6speed and you will be fine.

If................you have a transmission fluid cooler.
  5. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

And you have the stock size tires.. putting larger diameter tires on the truck significantly changes the ratio.. Any larger than stock and you wont be happy even with the 6 speed. It will constantly hunt for gears and wont be good for the tranny regardless of which tranny you have.