1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Towing with a Chevy Traverse

Discussion in 'Chevy Traverse Forum (GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave)' started by ChevyFan, Oct 31, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I'm on the fence between getting an AWD Traverse (it's more practical most of the time) and a Crew Cab Silverado (when we need it, having a truck can't be beat).

One of the issues we're having is that we plan to start camping more and I'm on the hunt for a travel trailer that I can tow, maybe up to about 200 miles each way a few times per year. The Traverse that I'm looking at is AWD and has a stated towing capacity of 5,200 lbs ... so I assume we could find a trailer that's up to about 3,800 - 4,000 lbs dry we would be ok.

FIRST Question: Anyone have experince towing with a Chevy Traverse (or GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave or other vehicle based on this platform?)

SECOND Question: What type of trailer would be good to tow behind one of these vehicles?

10.jpg
    AWD-Chevy-Traverse-Forum.jpg
  2. ChevyFan

I just bought this bad boy and i will pick it up tomorrow.

I'm on the mobile site so i can't add in any new photos.
  3. Salesguy1980

Salesguy1980 Member 100 Posts

Congrats on your new ride! Personally I would not tow with a Traverse. I almost bought an Acadia and opted not to because of the platform. I like it for everyday use but it felt more like a car or minivan. With that being said the transmission is a transaxle I believe, correct me if I am wrong is not the best transmission for heavy towing. I say heavy being anything more than a 1,000 lbs. Yes you can add a trailer brake controller but I would think any trailer would beat the hell out of the vehicle. Maybe a small pop up would be fine but I would not go any bigger. Also downside to a camp trailer would be the sway on the highway. Not even sure if you can add sway bars to a traverse.

Either way great ride, maybe pick up a used truck for towing or opt for a used class c motor home, always available and usually cheap
  4. ChevyFan

Yeah, it might surprise you, the traverse weights 4900 lbs (i think) and has 280+ HP. The rated towing limit is 5200.

however, that is why I am looking at Ultra Lite trailers.