Towing with a Chevy Traverse

Discussion in 'Chevy Traverse Forum (GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave)' started by ChevyFan, Oct 31, 2012.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I'm on the fence between getting an AWD Traverse (it's more practical most of the time) and a Crew Cab Silverado (when we need it, having a truck can't be beat).

One of the issues we're having is that we plan to start camping more and I'm on the hunt for a travel trailer that I can tow, maybe up to about 200 miles each way a few times per year. The Traverse that I'm looking at is AWD and has a stated towing capacity of 5,200 lbs ... so I assume we could find a trailer that's up to about 3,800 - 4,000 lbs dry we would be ok.

FIRST Question: Anyone have experince towing with a Chevy Traverse (or GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave or other vehicle based on this platform?)

SECOND Question: What type of trailer would be good to tow behind one of these vehicles?

10.jpg
    AWD-Chevy-Traverse-Forum.jpg

2. ChevyFan

I just bought this bad boy and i will pick it up tomorrow.

I'm on the mobile site so i can't add in any new photos.

3. Salesguy1980

Salesguy1980 Rockstar 100 Posts

Congrats on your new ride! Personally I would not tow with a Traverse. I almost bought an Acadia and opted not to because of the platform. I like it for everyday use but it felt more like a car or minivan. With that being said the transmission is a transaxle I believe, correct me if I am wrong is not the best transmission for heavy towing. I say heavy being anything more than a 1,000 lbs. Yes you can add a trailer brake controller but I would think any trailer would beat the hell out of the vehicle. Maybe a small pop up would be fine but I would not go any bigger. Also downside to a camp trailer would be the sway on the highway. Not even sure if you can add sway bars to a traverse.

Either way great ride, maybe pick up a used truck for towing or opt for a used class c motor home, always available and usually cheap

4. ChevyFan

Yeah, it might surprise you, the traverse weights 4900 lbs (i think) and has 280+ HP. The rated towing limit is 5200.

however, that is why I am looking at Ultra Lite trailers.