1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Towing With a New Truck

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by fishdaddy, Nov 6, 2012.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. fishdaddy

fishdaddy New Member

Hey ya'll, I just bought a new 2013 silverado LTZ 1500 and I have 550 miles on it and I want to go on a fishing vacation. My question is this: The owners manual says the first 500 miles of towing should be at or below 50 mph. What happens if I tow at highway speeds since I'm going a few hundred miles? Will I totally destroy the drive train/engine? What do you think?

Fishdaddy
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

You won't hurt it in the short term but might In the long term. With a truck that new it still is wearing in its parts and such. Just be cautious and smart, 55 wont hurt it but I would just play it safe. Its a Chevy so it'll most likely be just fine, but do drive around the neighborhood and town at lower speeds to get used to how the truck handles with the trailer.
  3. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

***Thread Moved***
    To The
    Towing And Trailer Tech Section

4. jake's silverado

jake's silverado Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

Did you buy or lease? I towed with 500 miles on my truck. I now have 20,000 miles on it and no issues.
  5. fishdaddy

fishdaddy New Member

I bought it. I got rid of my 03 ram diesel. What a difference in power but I didn't have 50 grand plus for a new one. I was a chevy guy prior to the ram. I just don't want to screw it up by towing a boat.
  6. jake's silverado

how heavy is it and what kind of tongue weight? I think you should be OK!
    Just so you know my TT was 8500lbs and 950lbs on the tongue and my truck hasn't shown any issues. You do have 100,000 mile power-train warranty right!
  7. fishdaddy

fishdaddy New Member

Yes I have the warranty, but I hate to go against the breakin rules. My skeeter weighs about 4 grand loaded and I think the tongue weight is about 450 or so. I'm gonna try it cause I just gotta go fishing right. Thanks for the info.
  8. jake's silverado

I think you'll be fine. I believe the break in period is 800 miles before they recommend to start pulling. You must be close or over by now.
  9. steved

steved Former Member

I am right there with you...I couldn't justify another diesel (last one was an 04.5 Dodge Cummins), but I did manage to stay in a 2500 series truck...