1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Towing with a Silverado

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by no0b123, Jul 25, 2008.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. no0b123

no0b123 Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

I have a hitch ball secured on my rear bumper of my 4.3L V6 Silverado. How much weight can I tow with this setup? Would a trailer filled with 4 Quads be safe to tow or a car on a trailer?

I know it wont tow as easily as a V8 but I'm just saying, could it work out?

2. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I'm no expert on towing by any means, but I don't think I would tow too much weight with just a ball on your bumper. You might be alright, but if it were me, I would get a hitch.

3. no0b123

Right, I figure I would save my money though because I don't really use my truck for towing (nothing to pull) and plus it's a V6 so I know its not going to tow like the Duramax does lol.

4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

There is a max weight for that, you can get a frame-mounted receiver unit for probably $150? It's been 10 years since I did it for that price, maybe a bit more now.

5. 07 redrado

07 redrado Rockstar

i would not recomend doing that. if u have 4 four wheelers that will be about 4k + the trailer. thats a little to close to the max of the bumper to sit comfortably with me. i wopuld spend the little bit and have a frame mounted hitch put on. they come in real handy even when u dont pull much. the dealer said they can put one on my truck or around $200 with the 7 pin connector. just my .02

6. Dan

Dan Rockstar 100 Posts

with out going out to look if i remember right the bumper hitch has a 200lb toung weight and you will be towing a lot more than that i say no get a real hitch...on another note you will be suprised how well that 6cyl towes my camper is about 4500 lbs loaded and i pull it with no problem in the foot hills of the midwest

Dan

7. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

i agree get the frame mounted hitch system....maybe contact some local junk yards as these are on most trucks and you can get a good deal and installing a 4 wire plug is easy....mike

8. no0b123

I didn't know I could get a hitch for about $150-200 dollars. Never mind then, thats reasonable. Whats the max amount of weight I can tow with the 4.3 V6? And how much can go in the bed of the truck?