Towing with a Silverado

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by no0b123, Jul 25, 2008.

1. no0b123

no0b123 Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

I have a hitch ball secured on my rear bumper of my 4.3L V6 Silverado. How much weight can I tow with this setup? Would a trailer filled with 4 Quads be safe to tow or a car on a trailer?

I know it wont tow as easily as a V8 but I'm just saying, could it work out?

2. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I'm no expert on towing by any means, but I don't think I would tow too much weight with just a ball on your bumper. You might be alright, but if it were me, I would get a hitch.

3. no0b123

Right, I figure I would save my money though because I don't really use my truck for towing (nothing to pull) and plus it's a V6 so I know its not going to tow like the Duramax does lol.

4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

There is a max weight for that, you can get a frame-mounted receiver unit for probably $150? It's been 10 years since I did it for that price, maybe a bit more now.

5. 07 redrado

07 redrado Rockstar

i would not recomend doing that. if u have 4 four wheelers that will be about 4k + the trailer. thats a little to close to the max of the bumper to sit comfortably with me. i wopuld spend the little bit and have a frame mounted hitch put on. they come in real handy even when u dont pull much. the dealer said they can put one on my truck or around $200 with the 7 pin connector. just my .02

6. Dan

Dan Rockstar 100 Posts

with out going out to look if i remember right the bumper hitch has a 200lb toung weight and you will be towing a lot more than that i say no get a real hitch...on another note you will be suprised how well that 6cyl towes my camper is about 4500 lbs loaded and i pull it with no problem in the foot hills of the midwest

Dan

7. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

i agree get the frame mounted hitch system....maybe contact some local junk yards as these are on most trucks and you can get a good deal and installing a 4 wire plug is easy....mike

8. no0b123

I didn't know I could get a hitch for about $150-200 dollars. Never mind then, thats reasonable. Whats the max amount of weight I can tow with the 4.3 V6? And how much can go in the bed of the truck?