1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Towing with new 2010 Sierra

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by 2010_Sierra, Aug 30, 2010.

1. 2010_Sierra

2010_Sierra New Member

Hi everyone, long time reader - first time to post. I just recently purchased a 2010 Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 4WD with the 6.2L/6 spd combo. I has around 450 miles on it so far. I am planning a trip at the end of the month that will entail towing a 7k lbs travel trailer. Two questions:

1. Will I be okay towing this so soon into the life of the engine/drivetrain? Realizing the manual says no towing within 1st 500 miles.

2. Is it a good idea to change the oil after the 500 mile break-in period to get rid of any metal from the break-in?

Thanks for any thoughts and advice.
  2. Z71_guy

Z71_guy New Member 1000 Posts

i would change the oil, i think you should be fine towing
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club. I change the oil and filter in my new trucks at 1,000 miles with conventional oil then again a filter and oil change at 3,000 miles and I then switch to Mobil 1 synthetics. I would wait until I have 1,000 miles on the truck before towing. Use your tow/haul mode on your transmission.
  4. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

X2, i do the same here with a new truck...
  5. 2010_Sierra

2010_Sierra New Member

Thanks for the input. I used Mobil 1 synthetic in my previous truck (2002 Silverado). The tow/haul mode is a great feature, used it many times on my last truck.

Thanks again.