1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Towing with the Colorado

Discussion in 'Chevy Colorado Forum (GMC Canyon)' started by Jim_H, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Jim_H

Jim_H New Member

I have a 2006 Colorado with the I-5. I know the tow rating is 4,000 lbs. but I am interested in experiences of current or past Colorado owners.

- How much weight have you towed with the I-5?
    - Do you use electric brakes on the trailor?
    - Do you have any additional modifications done in order to tow?

I am looking at towing a Camaro to the racetrack on an open 18' trailor. Any help would be appreciated.

2. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Sounds like you're going to be right up to, or over your tow limit.

We've got a few Colly owners here who probably can answer your questions. I'm just giving you a bump to the top of the list.:great:

3. Jim_H

Jim_H New Member

Thanks Patrick.

The Camaro weighs around 3,100 lbs. I have no idea what an open car trailor weighs but it cannot be too much. The ramps are solid metal and about 18' long.

4. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would suggest that if you are going to tow the max limit, or very close to it, you should invest in the trailer brakes.
    I'm just guessing that your open bed trailer is going to be in the neighborhood of 1000lbs. So you will be very close, if not over the limit.

Being that the Colorado is a light truck the electric brakes would help keep you and your investment safe, as well as help you save your brakes on the Colorado.

(Bump)

5. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Excellent point. :great: Towing to the limit like that is not safe at all without trailer brakes. Emergency stops would be...like...Hang on Ethal! This ones gonna hurt!

6. Flatman

Flatman Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

+2 on the trailer brakes!

Can't really help on the Colorado towing issues, though...I took my hitch off when I lowered mine because it was scraping everytime I drove down a steep driveway!

Good luck and post some pics of your truck!

7. hearseman

hearseman New Member

I tow a camper that the gvw is 3000 lbs and have no problem. I have the 3.5 with a 5 speed and it goes great.It's a full size camper not a pop-up. My truck is dropped 3/4 and handles really well.It sways a little on a windy day but not bad. I'm going to put electric brakes on soon just for safety sake. I'm still getting between 14-17 mpg on the highway with the camper.I just have to drop to 4th gear to pull a hill. Other then that it tows great with the camper loaded,the bed loaded with gear two people and two big dogs.

8. aja72

aja72 New Member

I don't know the towing capacity of Colorado but i will give you idea about towing & most important thing for towing.

1> First of all you need to know how much weight you'll be towing and that the weight doesn't exceed the maximum towing capacity of your tow vehicle.

2> The Drawbar can be selected that "drops" the ball to a lower level. There are 1 7/8-, 2-, 2 ΒΌ-, and 2 5/16-inch sizes, with the 2-inch size being the standard.

3> Dual axles provide better load distribution and in the event of a tire failure, there's still one good tire on each side of the trailer, which makes the whole package easier to handle if that happens.

4> The most popular type of trailer brakes are surge and electric.

5> The most important thing is driving style when towing a trailer you needs to change dramatically.

This is are the basic things which requires to consider before drive towing vehicle.
    4x4 chevy trucks

9. NORMSCOLORADO

NORMSCOLORADO Rockstar 100 Posts

whats the size? reg cab, ext, or crew???? i know my I-4 reg cab is very light i had the back of the truck loaded with scrap metal and a 12' single axle loaded with metal too and it was scary you could feel the trailer liftin the ass of the truck up and start pullin it from side to side when you hit a bump i was carrying about 1.75 tons of metal (3500lbs on the truck/ trailer) plus the trailer and it was hairy ill never carry that much again with out trailer brakes

10. Stealth

Stealth Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It's not a Colorado, but on my S10 the two rating is 3000 pounds but Chevrolet says not to pull over 1000 pounds without trailer brakes. I think it's ver similar for the newer models. Hope that helps.