Towing with your 1500....

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by John Hankel, Feb 17, 2012.

1. John Hankel

John Hankel New Member

I know most of the newer trucks with the towing packages are rated for around 9500 pounds. Anyone towed that much or in the 8K-9K range?

Heaviest load I have had on mine is about 6000 pounds and it pulled okay.... This was a 1949 John Deere B and my utility trailer....

2. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Pulled a trailer with 8 10ft cypress tree logs to the sawmill down the road. Going to guess that was around 6k-7k pounds not including the trailer. Through some mud then about 10 miles down the highway. Handled it quite well.

3. Drake_korthos

Drake_korthos Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Can't say that much, only 2,400lbs of gear (9,700lbs gross weight). That was over a 500mile trip from Monterey, CA to Las Vegas, NV. The truck handled like a champ even up the Baker Grade.

4. jake's silverado

jake's silverado Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

Hi John... I use to tow my almost 8000lb travel trailer with a 2009 1500 crew cab. I now have a 2500hd and it is a world of difference. I have better handeling and if you read my signature below I am no longer exceeding the GVWR. Both trucks state max trailer is 9500lbs but the 1500 had a GVWR of 7000# and the 2500hd 9500#. Better truck/trailer handeling and stopping... I actually get better milage with the 2500hd when pulling the trailer. No more white knuckle driving and up to now never had to do any emergency maneuvers...

So why the question?

5. hunky

hunky Rockstar 100 Posts

Drilled and slotted rotors and some air bags/shocks in the rear to level it out if you will be towing that much on a regular basis.

6. bsmntcritr

bsmntcritr Member

John, I presently tow a 30' travel trailer that weighs empty at 6200lb with a 2011 K3500 ext-cab. The truck has a 8' flatbed that carries 2-400cc class ATV's, about 900lbs. This truck does that tow and haul task very well. I did haul the same load on a GMC '06 reg cab 2x4 2500HD. Both trucks were 6.0 motors, the older one a 4 speed, the newer a 6 speed. The 2500 did a good job, but it had to have an EQ hitch to handle the trailer. The 2011 K3500, for me, is superior because the additional front end weight keeps the steer wheels planted and the additional spring in the rear can handle the trailer and ATV weight without adding"overload" springs. The only downside is the power out put of the 6.0 motor. If GM would add a turbo-charger it would be perfect. I tried the air-bags on the 2500 - hated 'em, big time.

7. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Heaviest load I've towed with mine was a Subaru Legacy sedan on an 18 foot car hauler. Total weight was probably close to 9000, and I only towed it about 4 miles. It handled ok, but I was going super slow because I had the wrong drop hitch.

Heaviest long haul was a 10 foot cargo trailer empty to Seattle then later filled with a ton of tools and furniture with a boat on top and a lawn mower in the bed. Total weight of all our gear and trailer weight was probably close to 6500 or 7K. Truck handled it good going over Snokwalmie (probably butchered that, lol) and Lookout pass. Can't remember if we went over Fourth of July cause I was riding shotgun while my buddy drove that night, lol. Here's a picture of the boat we added in Spokane before heading to Seattle:

[​IMG]

The trailer handled way better after it was loaded, lol. I think my highest MPG on that trip was 13. Lowest was like 10.

8. ljmueller

ljmueller Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

I pull a 6000 pound skid-loader on a 2300 pound trailer around once in a while. If I had to do it more often I would definitley get a heavier truck, but it does pretty good if you're careful and take it easy.

9. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Before my dad got his 2500 he had a 07 1500 with add a leafs. We hauled a 5105m John Deere which weighs about 8200lbs I would tell you not to do it we were only going 20 miles on a road no one else would be on to get it to the shop