1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Toyo M/T

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Smitty87, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Smitty87

Smitty87 New Member

Looking to buy some Toyo M/T's. Was wondering about the road noise and if they have any, are they loud?
  2. 64C10

64C10 Member

I loved the set of Toyo Open Country AT's i had on my old truck. the noise was lower than the Bridgestone Dueler's.
  3. 2011laserblue

2011laserblue New Member

I've asked the same question a few times.

From everything I've heard they are the most well behaved MT there is. Most people that have them love them as they tend to wear well. It is an MT, so it is going to howl, although they are said to be "the quietest MT". If you are concerned about road noise I would suggest you go to an AT. The new toyo AT2 is a badass looking AT tire IMO.

Cons are that they are very heavy and can be hard to balance.

Bottom line: I've never had them, heard they were good. I'm torn between these and their sister Nitto TG's.

Good luck, hope this helped a little.
  4. Smitty87

Smitty87 New Member

Thanks. Sounds like we are in same boat. Been switching my mind back and forth between Toyo's and Nitto's
  5. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member

I would just go with the nitto. Made by Toyo and very few that I sold reported any issue and wear great
  6. ajarman

ajarman New Member 1000 Posts

I have had both and perfer the Nitto Trail Grapp over the Toyo M/T. I felt the Toyo's were not as loud as the trail grapps with less than 10k miles, but after that the Toyo's got a little louder. Cant go wrong with either, but when my Toyo wore out I went back to Nitto.
  7. 2011laserblue

2011laserblue New Member

I don't think you can go wrong with either. I know, I hate when people say that, but in this case I think it is a matter of what works best for you. Like me for instance:

I will only use a tire such as this for a summer set up, so I will probably end up with the Nitto. They're a touch cheaper, similar quality, and to be honest, I prefer the aesthetics of the Nitto over the Toyo. Plus the Toyo isn't offered in a 305.55.20, only a 33.x12.50.x20. I'm going to be upgrading to a 20x10 wheel and I don't think I can afford the extra .5" of width. I know it's minimal, but it is going to be a tight fit.

I've heard that the Nitto has a softer tread compound which leads to premature wear vs the Toyo and because of this is not good for towing. I've also heard that the Nitto throws an unusual amount of rocks. Again, cannot speak from experience though.

What kind of mileage did you see out of your TG's and Toyos? Can you attest to any of the info I've heard about the Nittos? Seems like you will deem most of the accusations un-true as you said you liked yours.

Great looking truck by the way. Very clean and tasteful. Well put together! :great:
  8. ajarman

My first set of TG's I put 30k miles on them and sold them for $500. My set of TG's now have 18k miles and are wearing great and show very little tread wear. The Toyo's wore like iron but did have a slight hop around 50mph. Do a google search on toyo mt's hop.

Also, my 305's measure 13" wide on my wheels so they are as wide as the 33x12.50's if not wider. Just keep that in mind.

Thanks for the compliments!
  9. 2011laserblue

2011laserblue New Member

Right, I wanted to go 305/55/20 (33.2"x12.01"x20") so I could go with a 20x10" fuel hostage with 5" backspacing and -12 offset so I would measure right around 33x13x20.

I don't think I'll clear being another 1/2 inch wider with the Toyos.

Or maybe I'm totally wrong about that whole concept, I'm not really a tire guy but like to act like I know what I'm talking about :lol:

That's not bad mileage on such an aggressive tread, how much tread did they have left when you sold them?
    I honestly think I'll get 50k out of these duratracs. They way they wore the first 10,000 miles I didn't think they would make it to 30, but they've really surprised me. I'll probably buy again one day but I'm just wanting to try something different. I did have to replace one however, something punctured the sidewall and the guys at Discount Tire said it was common for the duratracs -- something about not having as thick of a sidewall as other tires in its class.
  10. ajarman

The TG's had about 35-40% tread left and the guy is still running them that bought them from me. I had a really bad experience with duratacs. Mine were shot after 13k miles and had zero traction in reverse. It would spin the tires backing out of a dry parking spot. Discount tire hooked me up with TG's to make it right and I couldnt have been happier.

That .5" is really just .25" on wither side so that is not going to make or brake you in fitting the tires. Is the x10's -12 or -44 offset? If they are -12 and you wanting to run a 33 you should be fine set at 6" up front IMO.