1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Toyo Open Country MT

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by CornhuskerChevy, Aug 23, 2009.

1. CornhuskerChevy

CornhuskerChevy Rockstar

Just wondering what is so special about these tires. They look a lot like the Cooper STT's, but are WAY more expensive. Do they really last that long that they are worth paying that much for? Just curious, been looking for new tires for my truck.

Thanks
  2. canislupis69

canislupis69 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I cannot speak for how much mileage as I only have about 1000k on mine, but I can tell you they are great all around. I have had them off road and they handle great. On road I have never heard a mud tire as quiet as these. I decided to get these because I heard they are much easier to balance than most Mud tires.
  3. detailjohn

detailjohn Rockstar 100 Posts

I always figure it comes down to what you want to pay...
  4. canislupis69

True, but I have always followed the motto, you get what you pay for. I priced both tires at the shop where I bought mine from and the Coopers were actually 10 bucks more per tire than what they charged me for my Toyo MT's. Not sure if mine were on sale or what, but that was the difference when I looked at their site. What size are you looking at and what prices have you seen for the two?
  5. CornhuskerChevy

CornhuskerChevy Rockstar

I have a set of Coopers on my 01 2500HD. They are 265/75-R16's. I have gotten around 20k out of them and they are already almost done for. I loved them, and thought maybe they would wear better on my half ton I got because it is so much lighter.

I am looking for 285's on an 18in. rim for my 2007 Silverado 1500. I have a leveling kit so I can run 33" tires and those were close to 285's from what I understood. I payed around $210 per tire for the 265 Coopers on my old truck. The Toyo's don't come in that size, but the 285's I priced were on the upside of $300 a tire. I really want to put the Toyo's on my new truck, but I don't want to spend that much on a set of tires that are only going to last 20k like these Coopers.

I guess I should ask everyone...how large of an impact does the weight of a 3/4 ton vs. a 1/2 ton affect tire wear?
  6. canislupis69

7. CornhuskerChevy

CornhuskerChevy Rockstar

Oh...sry I didn't say that the Toyo's will be going on an 18in. rim. I think the size I found was 33X11.5R18. Its an 8in wide rim and says they will fit. I don't want to order them online though...We have a local tire shop that does all our farm and vehicle work for us so I would like to stick with them. Really dont want to spend much over $250 a tire.
  8. kgibson181

kgibson181 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Well I have never heard one bad thing about the toyo's and no stories of puntures and sidewall blowouts like other mud terrain tires. It's worth the price, wish I could afford em.
  9. CornhuskerChevy

CornhuskerChevy Rockstar

Exactly my ideas lol...not into payin' big bucks for tires even though you get them once in a great while. I will more than likely go with the Cooper's or one of the Mickey Thompson tires (ATZ, MTX, or Baja Claw) providin I can find the right size. I also looked at Nitto Terra Grapplers, but decided I want a more agressive tire.
  10. canislupis69

They just featured the Mikey MTX's on the show "Xtreme 4x4" the other day. They look like they would be a good tire and are supposed to be quiet on the pavement also. The prices you are quoting are not bad at all. I went with 20 inch rims which put me at $345.00 per tire for my Toyo's.