1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

TPMS Dash Warnings

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by ajarman, Jan 19, 2011.

1. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I am with you 100% Troutbug!! I check my pressure with my own gauge and dont need another nanny system on this truck.

2. ajarman

The commute this morning was surprisingly good running alabamamax's set up. I could tell the ride was softer and it did take the pot holes/bumps very well. Once the tires got good and warm no warning lights and all is well for now. I was thinking about getting some chalk from Wally World on my lunch break and coloring in some patches in an empty parking lot and checking to see my tread contact.

Thanks for the PSI recommendation alabamax!

3. troutbug

troutbug Rockstar 100 Posts

Good to hear that. You gave everyone (or at least me) something else to take into consideration when buying new tires.

4. Blackout07

Blackout07 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Places like Discount tire will relearn your sensors for you. They have done mine and I have no problems. 55psi is too high anyway. I run 40 up front and 35 in the rear.

5. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

I spoke with and emailed BFG customer service when I bought my New BFG AT/KO's, Which is an E rated tire that can accept up to 80psi when hauling loads. I asked them what tire pressure I should run the At/Ko's at with the vehicle at its regular weight , ie unloaded for normal city/highway driving. The dude told me to set the tire pressure at the recommended tire pressure that is
    stated for the vehicle.
    When the dude tells you something you better listen, and you do what the dude says. Comprende?
    [​IMG]

General Motors has a recommended tire pressure for every vehicle. There is a reason for this, Think about it, if you do this your problems are solved.
    I have a 2010 GMC Savana cargo van and the GM manual suggests 35 PSI.
    The tires can hold up to 80 PSI when hauling loads, a heavy trailer.
    For normal loads you need to set your tires at the recommended GM tire pressure for the vehicle.
    I run the BFG's at 5 psi over as I like a bit of a stiffer ride. The tires are wearing perfectly.

I suggest anyone that is having warning light tpms issues to you set your tires at the GM recommended tire pressure for your vehicle. The TPMS is issuing a warning light because you are running your tires at an inappropriate tire pressure for the vehicle.

Also what you think you feel as mushy or something is purely neurotic. You can not judge a tire by what it LOOKS LIKE or what you imagine it FEELS LIKE. Just set it to the correct tire pressure and forget it and any wacked way you think the tires FEEL, will feel normal after a day or two. Issue #2, eyeballing the tire,... and thinking it looks puffy or under-inflated is not the way to set tire pressure. Tires will often LOOK under inflated to the eye but they aren't. They often bulge out a bit, that's the way they appear but that is normal. Get a tire gauge and don't go on "Feel or Looks", trust me your tires will wear perfectly within + or - 5psi of GM recommended tire pressure. AND your warning light will go out.
    Problem solved.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  6. ajarman

Shomer Shabbos!!

Consider it done 1flyfisher

7. alabamaxrebel

alabamaxrebel Rockstar 100 Posts

You have stock tire size. When GM lifted the truck at they shop they put a new sticker on the door with the recommended PSI because of the bigger tire. 35 psi is correct for stock size, but bigger needs differen, because they changed the recommended psi from 35 to 42 for a 315/65r18. I called Nitto about this and they said it depends on the weight of the vehicle and size of the tire, other than that they didn't know anything. If you go to the dealership they will call some engineers and tell then your tire size they will write you a program that recalibrates your speedometer and resets the pressure sensors. $150 total, $75 for the program and then the dealership wants $75 to put the program in your vehicle.

8. Blackout07

Blackout07 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Bigger tires don't need a higher PSI. They simply hold a larger volume of air so 35 PSI is 35 PSI regardless of the size of the tire. What I mean is that a 31" tire with 35 PSI is no different than a 35" tire with 35 PSI....the bigger tire is still utilizing the recommended pounds per square inch but is simply holding more air. The weight of the vehicle should be the deteriming factor for PSI. If you are going to tow something heavy then air up. Thats what the max PSI rating is for. I run 40 PSI up front due to the heavier weight, and 35 in the rear for the lighter end of the truck. There is no need to run tires anywhere near that max PSI for daily driving.

9. ajarman

When the truck is loaded as in pulling a box trailer would I just need to air up the rears or just do all four tires?

10. 08chevyz71

08chevyz71 Member

What bout wen they look flat? Last time I checked I looked at a flat tire and could tell it was flat. And iv also used a pipe to check tires on tractor trailer and "hear" that it's flat or low. I run 60 in my nittos. My truck ain't stock anymore so mr GMs recomendations don't seem to fit me. I have a 02 2500 run 60 psi in and tires wear fine.