1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

TPMS Issue ~ Battery Problem?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by hotrodking86, Nov 6, 2013.

1. hotrodking86

hotrodking86 Rockstar 100 Posts

I searched and could not find a thread with the answer I was looking for. I have a 2008 Silverado 1500 and have had it brand new since Jan 2009. I have about 80k miles on the truck, a few months ago one of the tpms was reading 40-90psi. It was just jumping through that range constantly. Now it doesn't even read just has the "--" and I have the "Service Tire Pressure System" error all the time on my instrument panel. I called my local tire shop and they said that the battery probably went dead in the sensor. I have read that those batteries usually last for 10 years, has anyone had an issue like this? The TPMS is a royal pain anyway, I just hate seeing the light and the message whenever I drive.
  2. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

it sounds like the battery died in the sensor. It stinks, but the entire sensor needs replaced.
  3. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I had a similiar issue in my 2011.. when My TPMS Error message was displayed my keyfob remote also did not work.. come to find out my 3rd brakelight was leaking and found the receiver module that runs the tpms and the remotes got wet. Even though I replaced the 3rd brake light with an aftermarket one GM covered it because there was a Service Bulletin stating that the stock brake light also leaked.. That module wasnt cheap.. I guess it was located in the rear of the cab, drivers side corner(crewcab) I remember when I put the aftermarket one in I was thinking the seal that came on the original (that I had to use on the aftermarket) was not all that great.. Then of course the mechanic just gooped it up with silicone and got it all over my roof and got grease on my door handles.. :grrrrrr:uugghhh.
  4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Can you try to reprogram them? I forget how you do that in the Silverado, back in 2008 I think you can do it yourself.
  5. Clunker

Clunker New Member

I'm having the same issue in '08 Silverado 4x4. It just started at about 80k miles. For now, I'm just living with the light and message on the display. I had a tire shop try to re-program it but it would not take. I guess the battery is dead. Does anybody know what those sensors cost?
  6. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I think that it depends on what model you have. I was talking to a guy at the GM tech center about this a few days ago because I have one that acts erratic when it gets to be 7 degrees or below outside. He said that there are 3 different models of them. Mine runs $57.99. BUT, I called the local tire chain to see how much they charge to replace them. They told me $70 for the parts and install. Luckily, they always have a $20 off coupon on their website. So, I can get it done for $50
  7. ChevyFan

8. Clunker

Clunker New Member

That's cheaper than I expected. Thanks for the link!
  9. ChevyFan

There is a 25% off shipping code as well. I forget what it is, but that'll save a few $.
  10. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

theyre actually only rated for about 5 years or 100,000 miles, go to a discount tire or something and theyll reset it for free, if not its just a dead battery like above stated