1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Tpms learning tool?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by WorthFlorida, Oct 10, 2012.

1. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Has anyone bought a TPMS learning tool and where? I found one site that GM or Silverado uses Schrader brand but there is a lot of confusing info online. There appears to be more than one type of TPMS learning tool and it must be specific to the valve monitor or the truck/car brand. Can anyone give the full scoop of this technology?

2. Patman

Patman Rockstar

why do u need a tpms tool? at my shop we use schrader and we can then make ez sensors and is very to use but it very pricey

3. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I haven't. But I am interested to see the responces.

4. WorthFlorida

Reading the owners manual again, I think I over read it. It appears that a relearn tool is used if a sensor is replaced. If the tires are rotated with the same four sensors, then doing the trick with the remote key fob will allow the system to find the new locations. Now why can't the writer of these manuals make it more clear. Am I correct or do I have it all wrong?

The owners manual states: TPMS Sensor Matching Process Each TPMS sensor has a unique identification code. The identification code needs to be matched to a new tire/wheel position after rotating the vehicle’s tires or replacing one or more of the TPMS sensors. Also, the TPMS sensor matching process should be performed after replacing a pare tire with a road tire containing the TPMS sensor. The malfunction light and the DIC message should go off at the next ignition cycle. The sensors are matched to the tire/wheel positions, using a TPMS relearn tool, in the following order: driver side front tire, passenger side front tire, passenger side rear tire, and driver side rear. See your dealer for service or to purchase a relearn tool. There are two minutes to match the first tire/wheel position, and five minutes overall to match all four tire/wheel positions. If it takes longer, the matching process stops and must be restarted.The TPMS sensor matching process is:
    1. Set the parking brake.
    2. Turn the ignition to ON/RUN with the engine off.
    3. Press the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter's LOCK and UNLOCK buttons at the same time for approximately
    five seconds. The horn sounds twice to signal the receiver is in relearn mode and TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message
    displays on the DIC screen. If the vehicle does not have RKE, press the Driver Information Center (DIC) vehicle information button until the PRESS V TO RELEARN TIRE POSITIONS message displays. The horn sounds twice to signal the receiver is in relearn mode and TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message displays on the DIC screen.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  5. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I agree that it makes you believe your going to need to purchase a tool. But then goes on with how to use the RKE to do it.:neutral: I rotated my tires and didnt do anything but the fronts are now in the rear so if it tells me the front left is low in air is it really my rear right. I think it is if I havent done the relearn process. GOOD THREAD!!

6. 09 Z71 4x4

09 Z71 4x4 Member

TPMS reset tool purchase

Hey, I broke down and bought a reset tool. It's a ATEQ VT15 TPMS Trigger Tool. It was not necessary to have but letting the air out of each tire is a slow and clumsy way to reset the TPMS. This makes it really easy to do the job. Once you move a wheel when rotating it won't read the correct location on the dash display. It may not make a difference to some but it bugs me. I rotate the tires myself every 3000 miles to get even wear all the way around. I would say yes the tool is a little pricey but so is a good Code reader/scan tool. I think it was worth it to buy the tool so I don't have to go to the tire shop every month or waste time. I saw a video on YouTube that shows how easy and quick it is to reset the TPMS on a Corvette but it's the same steps for the truck. I got the tool on Amazon for $124 shipped to my door. It takes less than 5 minutes to reset the TPMS. If you got large wheels 18 or 20 in rims then you know how pricey tires are. So make them last as long as possible by rotating them regularly.

http://youtu.be/c-lyvEe9iuM

7. WorthFlorida

I did read the owners manual correct the first time. A relearn tool is needed after tire rotation.

From forum http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=142430 (buy a GM Master mechanic)

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:06 AM
    Guys, this piece of info has just been released from Engineering and I figured that it would certainly be handy to those of us DYI'ers who perform our own tire rotations and tpm sensor relearns.

Starting with late 2011 model year GM vehicles and all vehicles built after that point, the TPM sensor can only be activated for learn mode by using a TPMS tool. The pressure differential method , where you either increased or decreased the tire pressure by at least one psi, will no longer work to activate sensors on these vehicles. This change was implemented to reduce the amount of stray sensor signals being broadcast in the service environment. Since the TPM sensors can no longer be activated using the pressure differential method, customers wanting to rotate their own tires and perform their own TPM Relearn will be required to utilize a relearn tool. GM has designed and manufactured an inexpensive relearn tool, the EL-50448 specifically for this application. Owner manuals have been updated accordingly. To verify the relearn method to be used, refer to the Owner Manual - Tire Rotation - TPMS Sensor Matching Process. GM recommends the use of the following tools when performing TPM relearns: EL-50448, which is a new tool, and EL-46079 or J-46079, which is the existing tool. The new TPM Tool is also a great, economical tool for dealership oil change and tire rotation service use. Both tools can be used on all past and future model GM vehicles.

8. a.graham52

a.graham52 Rockstar 100 Posts

just to clearify things: the RKE is used to start the relearn process but you still need to go around to each indvidual tire and trigger the sensor.

9. WorthFlorida

What I learned first hand is you use the RKE to activate the learn process but IT DOES NOT delete or clear the already stored TPMS codes. The TPM codes get overridden when the learn tool triggers the sensor to send its code. FYI, the TPMS and the key fobs use the same Door Lock Controller (DLC) receiver.

10. txdutt

txdutt New Member

wonder how "late" the build date for 2011's for the tire tool only method? I used the tire pressure release when I reset mine after having them rotated a few months ago, worked fine. My truck is a June 2011 build date...