TPMS reads high on one tire with my 2013 1500

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by WorthFlorida, Jan 20, 2014.

Newest Photos

1. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida New Member 100 Posts

Today, after removing a screw and plugging a tire on my truck (RF) I looked at the dash to get a read on the tires and I noticed that the RR tire was at 41 PSI and all the others were at 34-35 PSI. The tires were warm. Putting gauge on it and the tire was at 34 PSI. All day long it read about 5 PSI higher then the others. Before, I take a warranty trip to the dealer, does anyone know of this problem. Will a relearn fix this?
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Did you use the same gauge to check any other tires (just want to ensure the gauge is working right).

And, to check the readings against the DIC, if you air up, or down, the tire in question, does the DIC read change for that tire?
  3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

You didn't have nitrogen in the other tires and regular compressed air in the plugged tire, do you think?
  4. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 100 Posts

same thing I was about to post! Lol nitrogen reads about 2-6psi less than regular air
  5. WorthFlorida

Same gauge all around and the tire in question I did let air out and it did drop in reading at the DCI. This morning, cold tires, it read 36 and the other tires read 31 PSI. the DIC does read the same as the gauge
  6. CKNSLS

CKNSLS New Member 100 Posts

Check with a good air gauge-forget about the TPS. The TPS is good for detecting an impending flat-ultra low reading you gonna have a problem. Otherwise, use a gauge.
  7. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Now this you are going to have to explain to me.

34 psi is going to be 34 psi, I don't care if your using air (which is 78% nitrogen), pure nitrogen or oil, 34 psi is going to read 34 psi.
  8. WorthFlorida

It's air, no nitrogen. When I bring it in for the next oil change I'll have it checked out but that may not be for another three months.
  9. bigdawg33

bigdawg33 New Member

Had same problem had to reset my tpms easy to do your manual should tell you how to do it
  10. WorthFlorida

By magic the reading came down and it now reads usually 1-2 PSI higher than the others. A day later I checked all tires with a a dial gauge and had all of them reading the same PSI by removing or adding air but the DIC still had four different readins. The next few mornings I check the DIC and all read 1-2 PSI between them but that one tire will read at least 1 psi higher. Evening when the tires are hot and running (35-36 PSI), however, the purpose of the TPM is the monitor the pressure and if you lose around 20-25% of the PSI you get the flag.