1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

TPMS reads high on one tire with my 2013 1500

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by WorthFlorida, Jan 20, 2014.

1. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

+1 to what [MENTION=54249]RayVoy[/MENTION] said. People just need to get educated on Nitrogen. It's a bit of scam for us everyday-motorists. Dealerships charge you tons of money for very little, if any, benefits.

Also, racecars use pure nitrogen in the tires because pure nitrogen (or any gas really, as long it is pure) has no water vapor in it. The air we breathe has lots of moisture in it and pure nitrogen eliminates the moisture content. By eliminating the moisture content, the pure nitrogen in the tires has a much more predictable pressure behavior. As heat builds up in the tires and increases the pressure of the gas inside, race teams can better predict how much pressure they can build up. Varying tire pressures, even just half a PSI, effects how the tires handles a turn.
  2. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Yeah, like I said, it ain't much.

Oh, It is not the oxygen that burns, it's the stuff that combines with it. The more oxygen the faster the combining, or oxidizing. But yeah, Nitrogen in our tires is only useful for back yard beer talk, unless you spend your weekends rounding corners at Daytona at 185 mph, or plunking F-18 Super Hornets into a flight deck.

As far as Nitrogen contributing to the longevity of tires, there is no empirical evidence to support it. There are too many other variables that greatly affect tire life much more than the molecules captured inside of them.

As an aside, didja know that Nitrogen is completely inert? It won't affect any other material until it is chemically compounded or combined with other elements.

The atmosphere used to be 21% Oxygen, it's down to 19% ever since the Democrats took control of Congress.:rofl:
  3. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Haha, they've had some help from the Canadian Conservatives, haha
  4. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

:lol: That is an oxymoron if I ever saw one. :lol:
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Haha, your right!!!!!!! Living this close to it, I never noticed, haha.