1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Traction Bars, axle wrap and wheel hop

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by dsfloyd, Nov 29, 2012.

1. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Nice work. Those look painful to install compared to the RAS. The periodic re-torquing, alone, would drive me batty. I hope they fix your issue, though!
  2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

they werent too bad to install. I will check them at the 500 and probably 3k after that if they didnt need re-torquirn I am pretty sure thats about all I will check.

Initial impression: The vibration was reduced quite a bit, but not eliminated. The vibration also stops quicker than it did previously. I was really paying attention to it but also was hoping it would work (so there could be a mental side to it too). I will wait for judgement once everything has a chance to settle and break in. I will be driving about 1200-1500 miles next week, which should hopefully give me a better idea of how well they work. There should also be a little light off roading too. If the vibration stays minimal as it is right now I will be happy with these bars at a fraction of the cost of ladder bars.
  3. dsfloyd

So I have about 1500 miles on the trac bars. The vibration has definately been reduced, but not eliminated as was the initial impression. I am happy with this purchase for the cost/value of the product and what I was wanting. Seemed to have no negative effect on off road capabilities when I was in Northern CA at Christmas.
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Any idea what's causing the vibration?
  5. dsfloyd

I honestly think it be a combination of lift block size, maybe I need to adjust the driveline angle some (maybe I need a different size spacer for the carrier bearing) as I know that I had a shop say that can cause the vibration at takeoff. Heck (knocking on wood) maybe even in the rear end as the gears are the only thing I havent had to have redone on my lift from the place I got it done at. Leaning away from the gears though as its only on takeoff and I shouldnt be making the 4.10's work too hard with the 35's. So main idea is still a little wheel hop or driveline angle vibration. I think there was a little when I initially had it lifted with the 4" block and there was no carrier bearing spacer. The shop I took it back to for repairs added the spacer and it seemed to help then I went and put a 5" blocks and then airbags (which raised it another 1/2" or so with 10psi). I really need to play with it more as I can put the bags around 40+ psi and it seems to reduce it a little more but I dont drive with them that full empty. Also in 4wd I dont think I really notice but cant drive around like that all day either. Its not my daily driver any more so I play with things a little here and there. that being said the bars did make a noticeable difference.
  6. dsfloyd

As a follow up. I just added another 3/4" of spacers to the carrier bearing (puts total spacing at about 2 1/4"). This seems to have actually fixed my vibration problem. The driveline is now nice and straight but I always hesitated adding to much spacing as I didn't want the angle at the transfer case to be too large. Either way the vibration is gone and the truck seems to get going a little easier too.:happy:. I actually removed the trac bars after the spacers worked to soften the back up again (it already is a 3/4 ton with an add a leaf and airbags, so it had gotten very stiff).