Traction Control Active

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by brehemajac, Sep 8, 2008.

Newest Photos

1. brehemajac

brehemajac New Member

I have a 2005 Chevy Suburban Z71. Every now and then, when I try to accelerate from a stopped position, the truck will stall and the dash will flash a message that reads "traction control active." Pressing the accelerator does nothing until a few seconds passes then everything returns to normal. This can be a real problem when making a left turn in front of oncoming traffic. You think you have plenty of time before the next car until the truck stalls leaving you in the middle of the road with a traction control message!

The owners manual wasn't much help. Any thoughts on this? What could the problem be?

Thanks,
    Brett
  2. Stargazer

Stargazer New Member

I used to have an '03 Sequoia that had really restrictive traction/stability control. If there was loose gravel, or snow/ice or any chance of one of the wheels slipping at all, the system would cut power to engine almost to the point of coming to a stop. I hated it in the winter because even if the driver's side had traction, if the passenger side got on to snow, instead of being able to punch it and get out, the truck would slow down and get you stuck. Occasionally it would do it on dry pavement, too, especially if I tried to accelerate quickly out of a turn.

I don't know if the same thing is happening to you, but it sure sounds like what I was experiencing.

Before I bought my Denali, I test drove and Escalade and decided one time to hit the gas mid-turn to feel what 400 hp and AWD was like. (I had an STI so I was familiar with high-power and AWD). I was disappointed because instead of feeling the AWD pull me out of the turn, traction control came on and killed the engine. What a party pooper!
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  3. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

my traction control will do the same (but i dont have ice down here) :lol:

i have never had it kill the engine... just a very rough ride when trying to turn ...
  4. anthonyl9

anthonyl9 New Member 100 Posts

I had a similar problem with my 04 AWD Tahoe. Basically there was a bad steering sensor signaling that the truck was not driving straight (as they described it to me) and the power was limited to all wheels. I could not accellerate over 60 and driving uphill was a crawl. Replacing the sensor did the trick.
  5. brehemajac

brehemajac New Member

Thanks for the replys! It's good to know that this problem is not unique to my vehicle. Was that sensor problem an occasional issue or every time you tried to go over 60 mph or uphill?
  6. zach45

zach45 New Member 100 Posts

that was one of only complaints about my 4 runner..
    when the TC clicked on i couldent hit the gas at all..
    sucked when i would take it off roading..
  7. anthonyl9

anthonyl9 New Member 100 Posts

Sorry for the late reply: The problem seemed to isolate itself to uphill driving.
  8. dragonken@me.com

dragonken@me.com New Member

I am having the same problem with my '04 Suburban. Mine is primarily when driving the first 200 yards after sitting cold. I know it is the traction control activating (brakes coming on). Dealer tried to reprogram the computer but this did not fix the problem. They are having trouble getting it to happen when they test drive... surprise, surprise!
    Does each wheel have a sensor, or is there just a single sensor that needs to be replaced? How do they identify which wheel sensor is causing the problem?
  9. jstutz101

jstutz101 New Member

You ever get an answer to this problem??? Having trouble isolating the same problem.

Thanks!