Traffic Court Violating My Right To Speedy Trial

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Nov 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

It just came to me that the city of Fort Worth has violated my sixth amendment right to a speedy trial.

Turns out that anything over a year is a problem, and 24 months is uncommonly long.

My ticket was issued 45 months ago, only 4 of those months can be attributed to me.

Part of the reason for this right is that our memories fade, we lose key witnesses, and in my case the city erases the dash camera footage after 180 days.

that's my main and first argument tomorrow am.

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

That ticket is still ongoing??? WOW! let us know how it goes!

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I've got one in Fort Worth court thats 6 months old and I havent even gotten notice of a date yet.
    A local officer told me their more than 32 months behind, ok you know you have a problem so why nt start fixing it instead of jamming the system even worse.

4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

COP DIDN'T SHOW. CASE DISMISSED.

Fort Worth, Texas - November 9, 2011 - Justice is slow in Fort Worth Texas, as Steve (as in Steve from GMTruckClub.com, aka "Big Steve", aka "Steve the Sleeve") waited 45 months to come to trial for a disputed speeding ticket, only to have it dismissed as the citing officer did not appear in court. Steve was prepared to ask for the case to be dismissed citing a violation of his sixth amendment right to a speedy trial, which may or may not have worked. In the end, the case against Steve was dismissed under a different provision of the sixth amendment requires a the prosecution to present witnesses against the defendant in court. The "no cop = no witness" rule applied, so the Fort Worth Municipal Court had no case against Steve, and he was free and clear to go. Even with a rude judge presiding. Fort Worth prosecutor Mr. Brandon Carr presented Steve with the news that his case (and all cases on the docket for that morning) had been dismissed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.