Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Trailblazer Gas Gauge going out - Sending Unit?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trailblazer Forum (GMC Envoy)' started by ChevyFan, Jul 30, 2013.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

My dad's 2005 Trailblazer EXT LS 4.2 has the fuel gauge that has just quit working properly. I've read around the web that it can be the sending unit, the level sensor itself or even the gauge. Anyone experience this?

2. Rebel_Bowtie

Rebel_Bowtie Member

Yessir Steve. My cousin's 01 4.3L silverado had the same thing (ya this doesn't sound redneck). It was the level sensor inside the tank. $75 fix. It would accurately read the level until 3/4 of a tank, then it would jump all over the place. What's yours doing?

3. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Can also be a bad ground at the tank.

The stepper motors on the gauges are a big problem with GM dashes (notably, the Trailblazers).

4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

There is a partial recall / refund on this from GM.

GM covers partial repair cost for defective fuel-level sensors

General Motors has said it will cover half the cost for repairing defective fuel gauges in 2005- through 2009- model-year Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Saab 9-7X sport-utility vehicles.

GM's agreement to pay half the repair costs puts an end to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's probe, opened earlier this year. NHSTA was checking into reports that the gauges showed there was more gas in the tank than there actually was.

The faulty fuel-level sensor affects 865,000 vehicles in the United States. GM notified dealers and vehicle owners of its decision in August, according to the NHTSA.

The agency launched the investigation after receiving 668 driver complaints about the inaccuracy of fuel-sensor readings. A stalled vehicle was reported in 58 of those instances, and the cause for 43 of those stalls was directly attributed to inaccurate fuel-level readings. One report said the vehicle stalled while exiting a highway and got hit from behind.

GM spokesman Alan Adler declined to say what the repairs would cost the automaker. He said the 50/50 policy would allow GM to "standardize the labor time necessary to perform the repair."

5. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

There are also TONS of electrical shops that can fix it, and put in a better stepper motor then the factory one, and will even guarantee it for life, the one within an hours drive for me guarantees less then 24 hr turn around. Everyone that I know that has had the fuel gauge issue in a Silverado or Trailblazer, its always been the stepper motor.

6. a.graham52

a.graham52 Rockstar 100 Posts

the usual tell of a bad sensing unit is it goes from being accurate to inaccurate a lot. if the gauge is just dead, it MAY be a nother problem.

7. Chevyfan's Dad

Chevyfan's Dad New Member Gold Member

The problem showed up after running STP fuel injector cleaner through two tanks of fuel. Turned out there was a recall and the sensor was replaced at a Chevrolet dealer in Wisconsin at no cost to me.

Steve's Dad

8. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

So if i take her TB to the shop,GM will cover 50/50 with me?

9. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Hey these customer complaints went as far back as year 2000, but they somehow only had to cover 2005 and later , I was out of pocket for my 2000 Blazer.

10. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Ours is a 2005