1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Trailblazer won't go.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trailblazer Forum (GMC Envoy)' started by ChevyFan, Mar 29, 2007.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

My wife called today. Anyone have any thoughts?

She backed out of the driveway, went forward to the stop sign. Everything was fine. When it was clear, she stepped on the gas and the engine revved without going into gear and going forward. Then she took her foot on the gas (I guess) and tried it again and it started to go.

Anyone have any thoughts? It's the second time this has happened in 1 week. I've not had this happen to me when I'm driving.
  2. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I guess asking if tranny fluid is low would be a silly question?
  3. Cableguy

Ususally when tranny is that low, torgue converter makes a heck of a whining noise?
  4. ChevyFan

ALSO, the Change Engine Oil soon light has some on.

I'll look at the tranny fluid tonight.

Looks like there are some issues with the Sun Gear over time. GM maybe has given some people a break on repairs.
  5. Cableguy

Check colour and smell on dip stick when she gets home...I don't like where this could be headed.
  6. ChevyFan

Hmm, maybe a 4L60E issue on some of the 2002 TBs? I'm gonna flush the tranny fluid and check for metal grindings, etc. Looks like there are some reports of a sun shell spline being made of substandard materials in the 2002 model.

TSB #010730038 -- SOME CUSTOMERS MAY COMMENT THAT THE SERVICE ENGINE SOON LAMP IS ILLUMINATED, NO 3RD AND 4TH GEAR, THE TRANSMISSION DOES NOT SHIFT CORRECTLY, THE TRANSMISSION FEELS LIKE IT SHIFTS TO NEUTRAL OR A LOSS OF DRIVE OCCURS. *TT (NHTSA ID #628934, DECEMBER 01 2001)

TSB #181001 -- SOME VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT AN INTERMITTENT 1-2 SHIFT SHUTTER OR POSSIBLE 1-2 HARSH SHIFT CONDITION. *TT (NHTSA ID #628011, OCTOBER 18 2001)

TSB #10501 -- THIS MESSAGE APPLIES TO A POSSIBLE DELAYED ENGAGEMENT OF THE TRANSMISSION THAT MAY OCCUR AFTER THE VEHICLE SITS FOR TWO TO THREE WEEKS. *T (NHTSA ID #619777, MAY 10 2001)
  7. ChevyFan

I read that the GM repair instructions for the sun shell for the 2002 Trailblazer (GMC Envoy, Olds Bravada) basicly say that it can't take the transmission heat causing it to strip. From 2003 on, GM built the transmissions with a "more heat resistant material" which reduces the likelihood of this happening.

I'm not certain that this is the cause, let me look into it and maybe it's just low on tranny fluid.
  8. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You may want to reboot the ECM too. Unplug the battery and see if there is any change in the condition.
  9. ChevyFan

The Transmission fluid was fairly low. I drove it around the block and let it idle in the garage for about 10 minutes, the tranny fluid read in the middle of the "cold" zone and was nowhere near the "hot" zone of the stick.

How much fluid does this bad boy take? For tonight I'm going to add in maybe 1 qt of tranny fluid, but what's the capacity?
  10. Cableguy

That is not low enough to cause that kind of grief. Thats about 1/2qt down just add little bit at a time so as not to over fill. Than let idle and retest. I'm not sure how much tranny fluid they hold.