trailer brake controller problems

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by millboy437, Jun 22, 2013.

1. millboy437

millboy437 New Member

Hey guys. New to the site. I have got a problem and need some help. I have a 2000 chevy k2500 4x4 (old body style). I got a trailer to carry tools for work. I installed a trailer brake controller. I followed the instructions found all the wires. (I think?) One wire is connected to the brake pedal wire so i found a wire under the dash and tested it. it had power when the brake was pushed. so i thought i was good. so i finished the install and took it for a spin well every time i turn on the left turn signal the brakes lock. so did i get the wrong wire? if so what color wire should I be looking for? or do i have a open ground somewhere? Thanks for all the help.

2. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club, it's great to have you aboard. I think you need to hook to the wires for your hitch in the back of the truck, not the tail light wires. Good luck. :glasses:

3. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the Club!!!!

I moved your thread to the correct section of our Forum....this should help in getting you more responses/opinions.

Sorry, I wish I could help but unfortunately I do not know....

4. steved

steved Former Member

The brake lights and turn signals share the same circuit for part of the run, and it sounds like that's where you've tapped in...you need to move the brake input to get only the brake feed to get a solid signal. Look right off off the brake pedal, the switch should be visible.

5. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Like Steve said, you need to find the brake switch at the top of the brake pedal. There should be a wire that only gets power when the brake pedal is pushed. That is the proper place to pull your brake pedal feed from. There should also be a pin in the junction box section of the under-dash fuse box that has that same output, but I can never remember which pin it is.