trailer brake question

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by agerangere5, Apr 29, 2010.

1. agerangere5

agerangere5 Member

hey guys and gals. quick question i have a 09 ls crew cab with the heavy duty towing package. it already has the 7 pin connector on the bumper and all. i was at the dealer this morning and asked if checy had a trailer brake controller that would mount somewhere on the dash. they informed me that they didnt do that for our trucks. does anyone know if this is true? i would rather keep the truck looking somewhat stock but if i needed to i would go aftermarket. thanks for the help

2. upsman105

upsman105 New Member

Mine has one built in.... I thought that was part of the package..

3. agerangere5

agerangere5 Member

where is yours located at on the dash? is it inbetween the two power outlets right of the steering wheel?

4. h0serdude

h0serdude Member

In my parents truck it's to the left and below the steering wheel (2500hd 2007.5). I installed an aftermarket Prodigy in my 2004 2500HD and put it under the dash where I can still reach it, but it's out of sight.

5. c_m_chance

c_m_chance Rockstar 100 Posts

I don't think they did the electronic brake controller stock with the towing package. If you wanted that, they could install it from the factory of course, but I don't think it was anything GM brand.

I have a Prodigy on mine though. I've liked it a lot. No problems with it at all. And as far as I know, installing the after market brake controllers doesn't void warranty or anything. So you shouldn't have anything to be worried about as far as installing something that's not from GM.