1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Trailer Brake Wiring..PLZ HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by bcumbie, Jul 24, 2008.

1. bcumbie

bcumbie New Member

Ok I recently picked up a Teknosha Envoy Brake controller for my 2001 Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton. I went ahead and got the plug so it should have been a plug in and go deal. Well it wasn't, and I ended up wiring it up my self for the most part. Black wire to the Battery (with inline fuse), White to a known good ground, Blue wire to the trailer brake wire on the 7 way plug ( ran a new wire all the way down the frame to the plug at the back of the truck), and Red wire to the hot "when brake is pressed" wire. I hooked up the trailer and nothing, no LED on the controller on and when I hit the brake nothing from the controller. I took the fuse out of the Black wire and took a look at it, looked good. I left it out and hit the brake on the truck and the LED starting flashing quickly and it was Red. I know the wires are right and I also know the trailer brakes work on the trailer cause I have used the trailer with other trucks in the past. I need to figure this thing out before tomorrow evening cause I have to go pick up a truck 3 hours away and tow it home to fix the transmission on it. I would like to have brakes on the trailer. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!
  2. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Do you have a factory GM pigtal wiring harness that came with your truck? It came with all newer GM vehicles. If not then you can purchase one at the dealer. On one end it has a plug that plugd into the fuse box on the floorboard behind the emergy brake pedal. All you have to do then is splice those wires to the wires coming out of the brake controler. It should have came with a guide for what color goes to what. The factory pigtail even comes with a fuse for the box under the hood to provide 12V power to your 7-way plug.

It sounds like you went about it the hard way like we used to do on our older chevy's.
    Good luck!
  3. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Thats not a fuse that goes there, it has to be a resetting breaker in there.

You can buy a resetting breaker that fits in a blade fuse slot
  4. bcumbie

bcumbie New Member

yea for some reason the plug didnt work. But I did wire it the old school way and it was right and is now working great! The problem ended up being the adapter I was using. 7 pole to a 6 pole. For some reason the brake wire was not in the right location. (brand new adapter straight out of the package).