1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

trailer harness wiring

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Conlan Rose, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

ok i want to install a wiring harness in my 96 tahoe it has the wires already set up because it has preinstalled wiring but no harness my question is should i do the wiring my self or bring it to a shop to be installed also should i go all out and get 7 wire harness or just the 4 wire.

2. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I think a 4 wire is fine unless you are using a trailer with brakes. You would then need a 7 wire. I think you can go to any auto parts dealer and they will have a harness that plugs into your existing wiring without any need to cut any wiring!!

3. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

ok thanks for the advice. and yah i probably dont need to get 7 wire the trailer i plan to tow atm has no brakes so not worth investment of 7 wire and brake controller

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

well it has the wires ready under the bumper but it doesnt have the physical harness