1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Trailer Hauling, how much weight is too much?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by bluestreak94, Jun 4, 2010.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. bluestreak94

bluestreak94 Rockstar

Hello everyone,
    I've been trying to figure out what the Maximum safe weight of a trailer to pull with my 1/2 ton suburban with the 5.3 and 4x4 is.
    Now I know what the owners manual says, I just want to know what all of you out there have pulled without a problem.
    I've been pulling a 31' travel trailer rated at loaded weight of 7700lbs.
    I'm wondering if I should buy a new travel trailer rated at 7600lbs dry weight. I wouldn't load up too much but hauling 3 adults 4 kids and two little dogs in the truck at the same time worries me, or shouldn't it worry me.
    Either way I'd love some come back on what you all have been able to haul!
    Thanks
    Bluestreak94

2. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I think you're at the limit with your current trailer. Don't forget that all the stuff in the truck other than the driver cuts into towing capacity.

3. bluestreak94

bluestreak94 Rockstar

Well, I bit the bullet, we decided to buy the Keystone Springdale 303 BH-SSR, I just couldn't pass up the price. I did a whole lot more research on my own truck after making it official. I took all the RPO tags and looked them up one by one and saw every detail of my trucks construction.Here's what I found;

5.3 liter V8 Iron Block
    3.73 Rear end Positraction Limited Slip
    Heavy Duty Transmission Cooler
    Heavy Duty Trailer Provision
    High Capacity Air Cleaner ( Already been switched out for a Spectre Cold Air Intake )
    Weight Distributing Platform Hitch
    4 speed aut HMD 4L60 E, electronic
    GVWR 7,200 LBS
    Hydraulic Disc brakes 7200 LBS

Plus the fact I have torsion bars and an anti- sway kit for the trailer and of course the Prodigy Brake controller from Tekonsha.
    I pulled it yesterday before buying it, the truck doesn't have a problem, I think I'll be leaving it in 3 to pull that monster.

What confuses me is that the truck is rated to weigh loaded 7200 LBS and if you add the 7200 LBS they rate for towing, you come to 14400 lbs GCWR. I passed through a weigh station and my GCWR was exactly that 14410 lbs.

I've always been a hardcore GM guy, I guess that this will be the true test for me and my Sub.

4. 2COR517

Hauling 15K + with a 3.73 gear half ton.

Good luck.

5. Sandhopper

Sandhopper Rockstar 100 Posts

I would say you are at, if not a little over your max limits. Let us know how things work out for you. In my half tons I have tried to stay with trailers in the 6500 range loaded. Good Luck.

6. 2COR517

Key word.....

7. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Ive gone up to 8Klbs with my 06.. But that was a rare occasion.. Hope it works out you do have a brake controller right??

8. bluestreak94

bluestreak94 Rockstar

I forgot to mention the fact that when I passed through the weigh station, I was partially loaded,
    by that I mean that we were 7 passengers in my truck. ( 3 large adults, and 4 kids ) The complete loaded weight of my truck and trailer should be 14000-15000 lbs ( and thats loaded to the hilt ).
    I'm only travelling with this trailer once or twice a year ( 2500 miles round trip ).
    And yes I have a brake controller as well as the torsion bars and anti sway bars.
    I'm gonna be leaving in mid July when I come back in mid August I'll update you all to what happens!
    Thanks for all your input everyone.

9. bluestreak94

bluestreak94 Rockstar

Change in heart

Well after a weekend of thinking, number crunching, and endless internet searches, I decided to cancel my purchase of the Springdale :-( BUT........

We went with a model which was very similar, but with one slide out instead of 2, a fibreglass exterior and an aluminum frame, I got all the creature comforts and even some better quality stuff inside, it cost about $1K more for a 2011 instead of a 2010. We finally settled on the 2011 Keystone Laredo 29bhs. :)

In the end I wasn't willing to take the chance for the extra weight. My new Laredo is rated at 7900 lbs
    Fully LOADED and a dry weight of 6100 lbs.

The trailer I traded it in for was rated at 7700 lbs full and when I passed the scales with it with all my stuff and passengers I was at 12800 lbs just under my GCWR of 13000. My wife and I can sleep easy now, knowing we've had no problems pulling our old TT fully loaded.

Thanks again everyone for your input. :)

10. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Switching to the Laredo was probably a good choice weight-wise. With a half-ton you can only push your trailer load so far. My Jayco Eagle 32RLS weighs right around 9100 lbs loaded, and I'm not even going to attempt to pull it with my half-ton Suburban until I convert it to a 3/4 ton. Even at 7900 pounds, your trailer is probably right around 1200 pounds heavier than your truck itself. Not that that's neccisarily a bad or unsafe thing, but it is what it is.

On a completely unrelated topic, you like the floorplan of that Laredo? I'm guessing you need to sleep 6 easily since it's the bunkhouse version, but do you like the way the wall is between the bedroom and living room? Seems like having 2 separate doors and virtually no walk-space at the foot of the bed would drive me up the wall. But, it does frame the TV into the wall nicely. ;)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010