Trailer hookup on 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by a2cntryboy, Mar 6, 2012.

1. a2cntryboy

a2cntryboy New Member

:gasp:2007 Chevy 1500 no power to the trailer hookup the truck has a place to hookup the the brake controller but I have no power for any of the lights at the connection at the rear.:confused:

2. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Is this something that just broke? Did you just buy it? If you just bought it, it is entirely possible that the prior owner never bothered to wire up the electrics. It happens. Once I bought a brand new 1993 Dodge Dakota with a dealer installed tow package that included a class III hitch and trans cooler, and I had to wire the trialer lights and the plug up myself. The dealer said, Naahhhh, we don't do that. "There must be about a dozen different types of connectors out there. When you buy the trailer, bring it back here. We'll wire it for ya, for a price." So, I wired it and the trailer myself.

If it never had electrics, buy the connector and follow the instructions. If it just isn't working, heck it could be anything wrong. We'd need more detail, like exactly where you don't have power.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  3. a2cntryboy

a2cntryboy New Member

Not broke but I cannot find the wires that are supposed to be under the hood I am guessing from what I have read that the wires under the hood are the constant 12v for the connector ,I have no power at all to the rear of the vehicle for the 7 pin connector.

4. The Heater

The Heater Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Check around the vacuum brake booster unit. Might be under it, and it should be zip tied together in a bundle.

5. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

x2 on what heater said. The end should have electric tape on it and it should be wire tied to a bundle.

6. jake's silverado

jake's silverado Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

send me your e-mail and I will send you a file that will help! It's to large to post! it's an adobe pdf file....

7. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

This is :sign0018: ... but how big is the PDF? If there is a need for larger PDFs to be added to the system, now that we're on a bigger server I can look into allowing larger PDFs to be added.

8. jake's silverado

...380kb....

9. a2cntryboy

a2cntryboy New Member

Problem Sloved

Looks like the previous owner hooked up the wire but he never put a fuse in place everything works great
    thanks for the help.:great:

10. jake's silverado

Glad it helped!
    [MENTION=1]Steve[/MENTION]... can I post a larger PDF file?